1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Emerald, Jul 28, 2000.

1. Emerald

Emerald Junior Member

Looking for a used V plow to fit my F450<br>And need some advice on a good way to spred salt & sand. <br>And also any advice on how to charge I'm now charging by the hour and my rate is $50.00 per hr per truck any help would be appreciate<br>Thanks <p><font size="1">Edited by: Emerald
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Hop on the bus Emeerald we are taking you to school.<br>First off drop that per hour $hit. You will make no money at all. At that rate you will make $ 500 in 10 hrs plowing. Most of us here make that in 1-2 hrs. In fact if you are in Southern Ct I will pay you that to sub for me. All my bids are rated to make at least 150-175 per hr per truck. Plus deicing services and sidewalks.<br>There is a number of ways to price snow removal, give me a call sometime and I will be glad to go over them with you.<br>860-859-0739<br>Look in the paper, want advertisers or the like, now is a good time to get a sweet deal on a plow. Being that you have a 450, I would look for a boss, they are stout enough to be in front of that truck. I think a 9'2&quot; will be the best size for you.<br>as far a spreaders are concerned, you really need a v box type. Being that you only have 2wd, you will need alot of ballast, and a full v box will give you that. I like the smith industries stainless over electric model. But I also own gas powered models, and they all work good.<br>Again if you have any? please call.<br>Oh yes, please check into www.sima.org<br>If you are serious about plowing, you need to join.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

If that F450 is a 2wd-he's going to be stuck all the time when the spreader is low or empty.I have a friend that plows with a C3500HD GMC,it is 15k gvwr-2wd,in big lots and roads it is great,but in backing situations when the spreader gets low,you might as well park it-my S10 will out push it then.<p>----------<br>John D<p><p><font size="1">Edited by: John DiMartino
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well seeing that they didnt make a 450 4wd till 99 I would say the chances are good its 2wd. I was thinking the same thing John, but I didnt want to hurt his feelings.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
  5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

It is 2wd, i used to have a 93 F 450, sold as an F Super Duty. In 97 ya could custom order one ( f super duty) in 4wd. 96 and older are all 2 wd from ford, unless a someone converted it.<p>Geoff