1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ole JIM, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

I*M a New-BEE to this SITE! a Retired Long Haul Trucker but years AGO! a Full Time Snow Plow Operator & as I read over Messages of Plowing SNOW! I Hear -- PUSH!-- SNOW! & in Plowing SNOW! the Proper Term is to SLIDE SNOW! as Moving SNOW is to Pick IT UP & Slide IT--& was Just Wndering? what? this PUSHING was all About? & I saw many Questions? On whats the Best Make of PLOW? w/ NO! real Answers? as That All Depends? On What Your Going to Do with your Plow? -but- the ALL Snow Plowing BASICS are the SAME!--So Here Goes!--I have Noticed! that all the New 1/2 ton Pick-Ups are Weak--Springs- in their Front Ends! & Need to be Modifyed to Really Plow SNOW--& TIRES! Good Tread is Important!--but--a Very Aggreive Snow tread is NOT a Necessity--as in Plowing your Vehicle is NOT In deep SNOW--Only Your Plow IS!--& The Size of Your PLOW? Bigger is BETTER!--just Don*t take a Big Bite!--Use 1/2 of Your Plows Width in Deep Snow!--& make More PASSES!--& BALAST? I Suggest! the WEIGHT in Your BODY should Equal the APROX Weight? of Your PLOW!--& I Paint the Back side of my Plow--Flat BLACK!--as that makes Long Hours of Plowing--a Lot EASYER on Your EYES!--& I Don*t operate my Plow w/ Shoes!--or what=ever? You call what-ever! that Lifts Your Plow Cutting Edge UP!-- OFF the Ground!--as THAT! only Defeats the Purpose of the Cutting Edge! & makes Your Plow Vehicle work Harder! as Its In several Inches of SNOW! attempting to Plow More SNOW!--& heres a TIP!--when PLOWING w/a 4X4--& You Feel that Wable when Your TURNING! on Your Steering Wheel--BACK OFF! & Take another BITE! STREIGHTER this TIME! as Your Front End Universals Were Just Telling YOU!--Were at Our LIMIT! of Angle they Can Operate AT!--& Get a GOOD Set of Heavy Duty CHAINS for the REAR!--Just In CASE? & NEVER!--EVER! Put CHAINS On Your Front END!--& IF? YOU ever DO Get STUCK Real BAD?--CALL some One? to PULL YOU OUT! as That Won*t Cost YOU half as Much as Repairing Your Front END!-- I HOPE? I have Answered a Few Questions! I Learned Way Back When!--as In Reading other Posts I SEE theres a Lot of Great Guys Here On this SITE!--Ole JIM--

2. danno

danno Senior Member

Interesting :rolleyes:

3. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

Note to site Admin... Please remove all other post's on this site.. OLE Jim has answered all questions... :eek:

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Wow reading OLE Jim's post was like reading an old telegraph... Drove my eyes batty with all the random caps, and lack of proper punctuation...

:eek: :dizzy:

5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey Ole Jim,
    Welcome to Plowsite.com! Looks like you've been doing a fair bit of reading. Good luck with your plowing.

Buck

6. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Welcome :)

Hmmmmm, might have to hose the back of my plow with some paint. never thought of that before. Probably really help those guys that run stobes in the headlights.

Way to welcome the new guy there wiseasses :nono:

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to plowsite ole jim, you touched on some good points. I think your our oldest member at 70, you must have alot of experience *sliding* snow, or do they just say "sliding" in Maine ;)

Again welcome :waving:

8. lewdo

lewdo Junior Member

Got question for you Ole Jim.

Say I'm plowing in a subdivision that is crowed with homes...like most of them. No room to 'slid' the snow anywhere but out in the street. What would do? I'm just starting out, this is my first year, no snow has fallen here yet and I have a couple of homes lined up that fit that scenario. I'm thinking all I can do is push it out to the street, line it up and push it back over the curb into their front yard. That seems like a lot of extra work, but might be the only thing to do.

9. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Snow Plowing

lewdo--here in MAINE We can NOT PUSH Snow into the Street LAW says NO! & I have Plowed Snow for over 50 yrs! & being a New-bee on this Plowing Site! Thought?? I would pass ON what I have Learned & Experanced! & to Who-Ever? that Thinks? I know it ALL--Well I DON*T--as Every SNOW Storm Drops a Differant Type of SNOW!--& Common Scense dictates! Some? Snow is Easy to Plow & Some is a Real *****!--Here We often have a real Wet & Heavy Snow! & that Means! You have To PUSH It as far as Possible! as YOU Know! its Going to FREEZE! & Frozen Solid--thats When YOU Start Breaking Things? I have Driven FWDs--Oskosh--Walter Snow Fighters--right down to Jeeps & International Scouts--& at 70 I*M still Asked! by Our Town to Operate the Waters Snow Fighter here during Big Storms--I Retired Long Haul Trucker Owner Operator-- I used to Shut Down the week before XMAS & for many yrs Plowed the Maine turnpike in Winter there-by allowing Me to be HOME During the BAD Winter Months--& plowing SNOW is a Science--like every thing Else!--as Theres a RIGHT WAY!& a WRONG WAY!--We all Know! Any-One Can PUSH SNOW! & the RIGHT WAY! is to Move IT so YOU Don*T have to Deal w/It AGAIN!--a YOU have Stated Your Problem in Plowing Homes in Your AREA!--Problem ONE!--NO Place to Get Rid of IT!--Here lots of Plowers have that Same Problem! especially w/ Homes on Top of One other! I DONO? why? People Build their Homes so Its Dam Near Impossible to Plow their Driveways! SORRY for the Long POST! & I Suppose? I*LL get another English Lesson? on my Writting style!--but I Asssume? YOU get the Message?--Ole JIM--

10. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

ummmm Ole Jim,did you use to snack on paint chips?

That was--?--- uhh---very interesting?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  11. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Plowing Snow

Thanks Up North--Appricate It--Ratlover--Paint the back of your Plow FLAT BLACK--Rattle CAN--BBQ!--Paint is OK! if? YOU can*t Find Any Flat Black! & YOU will THANK Me! a 1000s Times! & Your WELCOME!--Easyer On the EYES!--& lewdo--NO on Slding Snow--Here like Every Where! its Called PLOWING!--many yrs AGO! I was Sent to a GOVT Snow Plowing school Compliments of Uncle SAM by Our TOWN--back when I was a Young Feller! & thats where I learned the FACT that in Removing SNOW!-- a SNOW PLOW Lifts It UP & SLIDES IT!--Out of the WAY!--Highways! Not Driveways!-- I Guess? PUSH is the Proper Term for Driveways?--but as Long as Its GONE! were Doing It Right?--RIGHT?? I remember the Designers & Engineers of FRINK Snow Plows explaining at the Govt School so Many? Differant Types of Plows!--& Each for a Specific JOB!--BIG V-Plows w/Wings & all the Differant Rools & Picthes! of Plows & Wings! I have Used Myers & Fishers On Pick-Up Trucks & I chose the FISHER for MINE--Reason?--Fisher Engineering is just 35 miles EAST of ME!--& I Bought Mine Used in a Salvage Yard!--Re-Built IT & YEH! Modifyed it a Little!--I Like the Ole Style Fisher w/the PUMP in the Engine Compartment! & NOT Out Front in the COLD! where You have to Use a Special OIL! & Cover to Prevent Problems--I have Looked Over All the New Plows for Pick-Ups & they ALL look pretty GOOD to ME! I Assume? It All Depends On How LAZY YOU ARE? On what? YOU personally Like?--I personaly Don*t Mind! Working a Little to Get Mine ON & OFF!-- as IT Sure Does a GREAT JOB Plowing! as I Do a TAXI Co which My Son Owns--& a Towing Co--so I Don*t have any Problems when I do Get STUCK!--except the FLAK for Getting STUCK!--& I DO all the Elderly here that I know of? So they can Get Out & Do their Thing!--& I Don*t charge them any-thing--just a THANK YOU a WAVE from their Window!--as I Am still able to Do everything I used To Only takes a Little Longer NOW!--As were All in the Same BOAT! only Diffearnce I can SEE? IS!! Some PADDELS Sare Shoter than Others!--TAKE CARE! & if? I can HELP? just give ME a SHOUT!-- & Thats Goes for EVERY Body! GOD BLESS ALL!--Ole JIM--

12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Could you give me the Statute number that says it's illegal to push snow across a street?

Your son owns a taxi company in Augusta?

13. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Anyways, what did you drive in the old days? Did you do contracting? Lots of people in Maine have nice big trucks.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  14. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I did a rather extensive search and couldn't find anything on the statute (state law) about this. However, I DID find a few local articles, and the Ordinances for it for the city of Portland. It is on this site, http://www.ci.portland.me.us/Chapter025.pdf and you'll have to scroll down to Sec. 25-175 to 25-177.
    I do know that it is the law here in Michigan, also. I hope this helps.

15. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Ole Jim,
    Your writing style is just fine and we get the message. Good to have you on Plowsite.com, like you said earlier, lots of good info on here and I'm sure you you'll add to that. Have a good one!

Buck

16. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Snow Plowing

MICK--I*M from Augusta & techncally should have wriiten Here in Augusta They have a NO Pushing Snow -INTO nor ACCROSS a Street or Highway! I Dono? where the Statue is? But--from Guys that have been Tagged! I hear the FINE is pretty High! & My SON operates His Own Taxi leased to Als & Double Rs Taxi service--here in Augusta--Where You from? as I*D like to Meet YA! & Chat over a Coffee!--Ole JIM--

17. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Welcome Ole JIM

Hi Ole JIM
    Welcome to Plowsite,good to here from someone from the Old School.
    I have some questions for you about your trucking days and don't want to fill up the forum.Please Email or PM me
    Thanks Hyperpack

18. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Hyperpack

HYPERPACK--send Me your E-mail Address! I tried Your Profile NO can DO!--My E-Mail Address--Any-ONE! BADCAR@WEBTV.NET --Ole JIM--

19. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

HI Bolens Driver-

I have been Driving Trucks since I was 15 yrs OLD--& have Driven just about Every Make & Model--Back in the Winter of 52 We Here in Central MAINE had a BAD BLIZZARD!--& mother Nature Dropped 54 inches of SNOW On US over a four Day Period!--BOY!--I Remember That DAY!--Long STORY! Contact Me at BADCAR@WEBTV.NET Off List! & I*LL Try & Tell IT!--Take CARE!--Ole JIM--

20. DERBYDON

DERBYDON Member

OleJim - You think it would be OK if I don't paint my clear polycarbonate blade flat black? :eek: