1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRSlawn, Aug 28, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I am bidding on a commercial company who wants me to bid on there 4 offices
    the offices are between 50 and 80 spaces large and have between 200 - 500ft of sidewalk. They want snow plowing and sidewalks and salt for parking lot as well a calcium for the walks. How much do you guys think? This is mysecond year n plowing and last year on did one commercial office.
    please help

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Bid by the hour for the first year. after thst you will know what they realy expect and how long it takes.

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

i agree bid by the hour not sure what price rates they have up north but have seen wide swing on other post but come up with a price and add a few bucks more just to cover your added xpenses. bidding buy the hour gives u the chance to take it easy on your equipment and give the customer good service. chemical control is where the $$$ at my mark up for salt is 200% cal or mag 100% also add in hand work for side walks rember every piece of equipment no mater how small or how large has a price....

4. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Yea that would be nice but the only problem is its a seasonal contract so they want a price per office for the whole year. What do you guys think? I figured like 200lbs of salt per lot plus 125lbs calcium cloride. I also am quoting them 500.00 for parking lot pressure wash after season. This will have to be done after winter and probably on a sunday so I am probably going to have to pay some overtime there.

Thanks,

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape

5. snoking

snoking Senior Member

We do an couple realestate offices 30 some parking spaces front 15 or so in back. plow every inch, shovel walks, salt lots and sidwalks, $2600 for the year per building, or $2200 per year for 3 years. the went three years...

6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

There are a lot of variables when calculating how much salt you will need on a lot. It's not just based on the size but also the temperature, humidity, pavement type, etc. Just based on a lot the size you are describing, 200lbs already seems a bit weak. That's only 4 bags of 50lb salt. That lot sounds to be at least 15,000 square feet. A "typical" 4" snowfall on asphalt in 30 degree weather should require about 350 to 400 pounds of salt. You need to make sure if the temperature drops after the cleanup that you will have the ice melted and evaporated or run off already.

Is this your first year plowing? How do you plan on spreading the salt?