1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plowing ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fa fa flo hite, Feb 11, 2004.

1. fa fa flo hite

fa fa flo hite Junior Member
    from ohio

i have a 4x4 .5 ton pickup,will i be able to use this for snow plowing next yr. and if so how many drives can i do in a 6-8hr span ,if the clients are fairly close to each other?

2. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

1st question, yes you can. 2nd question, how long are the drives, 30' or 500'. Gravel or paved, level or hilly, 2" trigger or 4" trigger, straight or curved?

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

all 4x4 half tons will plow fine, what kind of truck is it? You should get a 7'5" plow or smaller make sure you don't exceed the front axle rating. As far as the driveways go it depends on size amount of snow and proximity between drives.takes me about an hour to do 37 drives in a 6" snow much longer if theres alot of snow

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just to show you how the number of drives has no coorelation to the time it takes - I plow nine driveways in two hours. Average 6" snow using a 9' plow on a one ton.

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

There are to many variables to determine how many drives you can do i a certain amount of time. Get a small number of drives and see how long it takes you to do them. Then the following year or possible later in the season you can increase the number of drives you do. When you first start out it will take you longer, but you will slowly improve your times.

6. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

That is quite an accomplishment. Factoring is some drive time you are at less than 1 minute per drive.

7. apkole

apkole Member

cja is about right on the money for a tight route. I've clocked some guys in and out of a drive in about 45 seconds. I don't plow that fast, but I've seen the competition do it. We have a couple of operators who attest to 250 drives a night per truck. However, the snow gets spread into the street and they are using front and rear blades and extremely fast hydraulic systems. They also are experienced (15-20 years) drivers. Been plowing the same route since they were in diapers.;)

Andy

8. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

What kind of $$$ would you get for a 45 second push.

Even @$35 per drive w/37 drives you are looking at $1,295 per hour??

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  9. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Since you are new, I will give you some advice as far as message boards are concerned.

The title of your post was "Snow Plowing ?"
    This is a snow plowing message board, every post on here should be about snow plowing. If you want people to look at you post, you should be as specific as possible in your title.

-Jer

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I find the 37 driveways in an hour pretty hard to beleive.:rolleyes: If in fact that is true, they all must be in the same neighborhood and not done very well. Maybe I'm wrong but that seems like a bit of a tall tale to me.:nod:

11. apkole

apkole Member

Toby,

In our market, seasonal prepaid contracts are standard operating procedure. Most of us do not do per-time pushes on residential, or commercial for that matter. We have good snowfall history to predict how many plowable snow events we will have in a given season. So since we are working on a "fixed seasonal income", we have an incentive to complete the work in as timely a manner as possible. That is perhaps why contractors in this market are on the "cutting edge" in snow plowing equipment, especially as it pertains to residential plowing. However, we seem to be light years behind in pricing. It's always a race to the bottom, it seems. :(

As for productivity, imagine a block of houses, 12 on a side, each with a single lane drive, about perfectly flat, 8' wide. The high volume guys are plowing about 50%-60% of the homes on the street. As they plow one drive, they are looking across the street at the next 3 customers. Very tight, very productive, somewhat profitable route.

Consider also: we do not backdrag driveways. All of our trucks use front and rear blades - back to garage door - drop rear blade- pull out to street - drop snow - back in to next drive - repeat.

Andy

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  12. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Filling in for a buddy of mine on his route and i do 65 drives and 5 med sized comm lots in about 7 hours. Now his route is spread out a bit and i spend a fair amount of time looking at a map trying to find the next blasted cust. Now if i had a whole complex to do then i prob could do 30 drives an hour. But certain conditions have to be in place. If i have multi drives on the same street then i will back drag the drive usually 2 times then i will back up to the garage and push all of the snow to the end of the drive i will leave it there till do the whole street like this I will then turn around and stack the snow in the tree lawn, it seems to go quick for me this way....Rob

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

dont go smaller then a 7.5 blade

14. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

In our market you couldn't get away w/just doing the drive. Customers expect steps, landings, walkways & sidewalk if applicable to be cleared as well.

If we have a block of customers in a subdivision the best times w/front/backplow combination & one blower guy would be about 15-20 drives per hr max..

On many of the subdivision routes I run blowers only due to cars being parked in drives & longer unplowable areas such as walkways & we can complete about the same or slightly more drives per hr..

15. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

boss:

yes it seems hard to believe. most of my drives are within 1/2 mile of my house all except a few from time to time are within two miles. I know everyone around my house i used to deliver papers and made friends with alot of them who now have me plow for them. I do a good job and in optimal conditions ,snow has stopped, roads clear, and light easy to push snow it takes me about an hour. I was using an example for the best possible situation its taken me 6 or more runs of 4 or so hours to do big storms. Also alot of the drives i do now are small 3 cars max, so thats a big factor as well (for me).