1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plowing

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by fireman2569, Oct 30, 2003.

1. fireman2569

fireman2569 Junior Member

Hello fellow snow plowers. I'm new to the business and am looking for some pointers. I've worked for other people in the past but never owning a plow until recently. Can you help me out with some do's and don'ts. Much apprecietion.

Never to soon for snow.

2. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

Get general liability ins. and make sure your current auto policy will cover plowing as a business you may have to switch from reg auto to commercial ins.

3. yako

yako Member

a little help

i reccomend buying john allins book "managing snow and ice" i bought a copy from the sima website i there are also a few other places to purchase it. it will answer a million questions im sure you have. also joing sima seems to be a big help for a lot of people. use the search feature to search any questions you might have. good luck and welcome to plowsite

4. David Smith

David Smith Member

My insurance company told me today, that they will cover everything, even if I am plowing, as their company doesn't require to know if there's a plow on the truck (verbatim).

I asked if I needed to upgrade to commercial, and they said "only if you aggressively market your business, meaning signs, cards, flyers, etc"

Makes me wonder.....

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

David, wonder long and hard. Get a second opinion. Get it in writing and get it on your policy.

As soon as you accept any payment for plowing, you are holding yourself out as a professional. Think about it, the customer is paying you for a service whether this is your first time plowing or your 20th year. My insurance agent started out saying the same thing. However, she finally decided that if my truck had a plow on it, I would not be covered under my regular vehicle insurance if I drove it on a public road other than going directly to or from a gas station. I would also not be covered if I accepted any type of payment for plowing snow.

6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

A key to not burning yourself out "PLOW WITH THE STORM" otherwise the storm will plow you.

Always take steps to make your plowing jobs easier.

Make 3 trips during a storm instead of one at the end.

Less stress on you and your equipment.

Jay

7. David Smith

David Smith Member

I agree completely....I will indeed have commercial insurance, with GL.
    I just thought I'd share what my insurance agent explained to me. I think there's alot of agents who will say what you want to hear, but when it comes down to it, you won't be covered at all.
    I am definately looking for a new agent as of this week for this reason.

8. fireman2569

fireman2569 Junior Member

Many thanks for the pointers fellas. I'm taking one step at a time. Chat with you latter. Keep it safe.