1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plowing

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by dear, Nov 6, 2010.

1. dear

dear Junior Member

i got a 2004 dodge ram 1500 4.7 2x4. can i plow snow with it if i got enough waight in bed

2. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Seriously?

3. dear

dear Junior Member

yes. need to make money with the truck i got

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

You might want to start a what tire I should get thread first, then what should I use for ballast, then where should I put the ballast....no you'll waste money not to mention upset you customers when you can't get to the job in 2wd. I'm just saying

5. DJ Contracting

Get a snow blower

6. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Well if you plan on doing drives only then your best bet would be a good amount of weight in the bed, good tires, a small plow like a fisher home steader, some tire chains, and someone to call with a 4x4 to pull you out when you get stuck. And i dont say that to be a wise ass but on my old chevy half ton i lost my 4x4 mid storm and put 2000 lbs in the bed and well pretty much burnt up $350 worth of rear tires. Oh and had some embarrasing moments trying to push 4" of wet snow. 4wd is a must with a half ton.IMO

7. dear

dear Junior Member

what about a garden tractor with a blade tire chains and weghts

8. DJ Contracting

Better are you just doing driveways

9. dear

dear Junior Member

with the half ton 2x4 dodge what about a 3point tractor blade in back. google images on homemade snow plow

10. ColvinsPS

ColvinsPS Member

stick to the tractor with a blade.. maybe it can be your ballast to get to and from the drives with it in the bed and then you can push the drives with the tractor.

11. BlizzardBuster3

BlizzardBuster3 Junior Member
    from SW PA

I guess with good tires, chains and enough counter weight it can be done. Back in the days before 4x4, that's what some used. I wouldn't take on much more than a few flat, level driveways, or very small parking lots and pray for light fluffy snow. In 30+ years of Snow Removal, I've seen even 4X's get stuck. Good luck.

12. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Spmply put, no, not realistically. You've got the complete wrong rig. By the time you put enough weight in the back to give you enough traction to push a plow in any sort of real snow, you're going to be over your GVWR...and you'll still have trouble in some driveways or if you get more than an couple inches of snow...never mind if you get a heavy, wet storm. By the time you're through the first winter, the truck is going to be shot.

You're better off just finding another way to make money. Garden tractor in the bed of the truck with a 36-40" blower and a couple ramps...ATV with a plow...sub yourself out as a sidewalk guy to a local contractor...whatever...but all thats going to happen is you're going to lose money if you try to plow with your truck...not to mention what about insurance? Thats not free either and your auto policy doesn't cover you.