1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plowing with a Bobcat skid steer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jaybbow, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Jaybbow

Jaybbow Junior Member

Hello all on Plow Site, I am new here and this is my first post. I have ran a landscaping business for 5 years and I have so far mostly just done lawns, shrubs, aeration, thatching, some mulch here and there. I currently only do one commercial property if you can call it that. I want to get involved in snow removal and I have been thinking of purchasing an older Bobcat skid steer. How well does a skid steer do with plowing? I know the maneuverability would be better, but can it push the snow as well as a 3/4 ton pickup? Also I would use the machine on any other summer work I could. The one commercial property I have now is just a small U shaped Motel lot. The owner asks me to do the snow every year but I haven't been able to without a plow or anything. My lawn business is well established residentially, but I want to begin to lean toward some small commercials to start and thought maybe a skid steer would be easier to move around in and also have the benefit of using it in the summer also. What would be a good size, and engine, diesel, or gas? Thanks for any insight!
  2. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

3. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

yes , yes , yes . use the search here on top center left
  4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Any more details?
    There is a big difference between a 20 hp gas skiddy with 48 inch bucket and the larger 100 hp range beasts.
    What will you use to move the machine? Budget? Type of work?
  5. Jaybbow

Jaybbow Junior Member

I was thinking of something like a Bobcat 873. I would use it on snow to start, but could be used on yard renovations, mulch, top soil, gravel, or anything that comes along that could put it to work. 0i am looking probably for an older machine that I could do some work to, paint, repair etc. I think another model I see a lot of for sale is like a bobcat 720. Would that be to small to push snow with a plow?
  6. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

Bobcat 763 773 or 873 are all nice machines from the 90's
  7. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

New Holland LS170 to 180's
    Bobcat 763 up to 873 models
    Mustang 960's are a solid and cheap machine
    Do you have a budget?
    Bucket or plow?
  8. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

Welcome to the world of snow!!! Good luck.