1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plowing with a bobcat angle broom

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clydesdale, Jul 16, 2016.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale Junior Member

I picked up a used bobcat skid steer that has a snow plow. However, I have my own long 600 foot driveway that I do not want to abuse at all. I am thinking of getting a power angle broom for it. Anybody have experience with this? I can afford to take my time and can get out there every 4-6 inches. Can the broom handle that? I do not want to be rough on the pavement. Thanks.

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Plows are only "rough" on junk pavement.

And you're going to want to be oot every 1-2" with a broom.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Turning and twisting will cause more damage then a snow plow

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I have 3 love them.

if the snow is dry you can get 4" out of them...its its wet, you better get to it every inch. saves alot on salt by picking all the snow out of the nooks and crannies

5. clydesdale

clydesdale Junior Member

My concern was than any small pavement issue can become a large issue in one bump. That could also be that back then, I was mostly doing streets and had the plow set up where there were NO skids in place. I had a western plow in the early 90's we just had the cutting edge on the ground, no skid pads.
    The plow that came with this machine looks just like my old western 7'6 plow.
    I thought the broom would treat my expensive asphalt with the white glove treatment. Why would the broom do more damage than the plow? I would not have imagined that.

6. Mark Oomkes

No one has said the broom will damage your pavement.

7. clydesdale

clydesdale Junior Member

Ah, I misread what oneoldogtwo stated. I imagine he meant the turning and twisting of the machine alone. At first I read that to mean turning and twisting with the broom. I would not thing the twisting and turning would do a thing because you have the slip of the snow to assist.

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Why not put a rubber edge on the plow? Hyd broom setups are not cheap, I get very little use out of mine. Stay off the edges of pavement these are the weakest spots of your pavement. Don't spin around like a wild man. You will be fine with a small investment.

I would be more worried about a good set of tires. If your bobcat has foam filled tires this could be a problem. Good luck

9. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Spider cracks in the pavement could lift with to much hard turning.

10. Mark Oomkes

Yeah, but you think plowing will damage it.

11. clydesdale

clydesdale Junior Member

Yeah, I was worried the plow might catch any small issue and make it a large issue quick. I didn't think turning would cause any issue. However, now that spider cracking has been mentioned, I could see where that could be an issue. The driveway is near perfect right now and I want to keep it that way. That is why I thought the broom might be the way to go. I have regular tires, but they are about 50% worn.
    It sounds like it would be smart to keep the number of turn to a sane amount. I shouldn't go spinning around for the heck of it. I can broom or plow down into the street, turn on the street and head back up.
    I have never heard of a rubber plow edge. Can you tell me a little more about them? What are the basic pros and cons. Thanks guys.
    The plow I have has a practically new plow edge and the plow skids seem to be in good shape. I can always adjust them to be gentle on the pavement too, I guess. It looks just like my old western plow and I can power angle it slowly from the sticks in the cab. I appreciate your help.

12. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

You bolt the rubber on along with your cutting edge on the plow, Rubber behind steel. Stay 1-1/2 below steel. Tons of them on Ebay.

13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

He could also try poly edges if steel edges are too aggressive for his particular situation

14. clydesdale

clydesdale Junior Member

I saw the poly edges on line as well. This will be used pretty much on my driveway only. I want to be as gentle on the pavement as possible. Rubber or poly? Thanks so much guys. Sounds like I may not be going the broom route.

15. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Blacktop at $100.00 per ton, Make sure you do the maintenance on the drive. Meaning firecracker hot crack filler and a good sealer when needed. What part of NY are you? Don't let anything to heavy on it. Garbage trucks will do it, Fixed a lot of them for Casella.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  16. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Don't let me talk you out of a broom they are cool, You will just have to stay on it more often and you will save on salt..The thing is you own the plow you have to purchase the broom for one drive.

17. clydesdale

clydesdale Junior Member

I live down in Putnam County, 1 hr north of NYC. The broom sounded like a good idea. But, I was unaware that they now have plow blades that are more gentle on the asphalt. I have to research them a little more, but the poly blade seems pretty practical for me. The rubber sounds like it has issues with strength, chunking off, and bending under the weight of the plow.

18. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Rubber is good as long as it's set properly height
    Ploly is good but $$ cheaper then a broom but like $600

19. clydesdale

clydesdale Junior Member

Wow $600 for poly edge? I could be ok with that. I have to figure out something that is gentle on the pavement. Steel edge is out. I have to either get a gentler edge or go with the broom.

20. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i got my poly edge for about 400
    rubber about 300
    steel is fine. i have used steel for years without much damage. that being said i am in the paving biz in the off season and very rarely see actural plow damage. if you keep it sealed, you will create a tiny wear surface which you will scrape off over time...redo it...its fine. its a driveway, not your wifes engagement ring