1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plowing vs Snowblowing residental ( first year)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by coreyod21, Nov 1, 2011.

1. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

Hi im just starting out this year although im in landscaping biz and have alot of customers asking for snow removal. My plan is to start out with a new areins deluxe 30. What are some of the pros and cons of both snow removal techniques? If I was to use the blower does the noise at night become a problem? Do you guys go out only in the day with blowers? Any advice would be great before I spend alot on a new blower? Thanks

2. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

How many landscape customers do you have and of those how many do you think will want you to do snow removal?

I started out with a 24" two stage that was bought to just do my own home. Then last year I got a 28" hardley used second blower for $150. Because I was getting more work then I could take.

Snow blowing is like anything else time is money so if I was starting out I would get 36" or larger. Also good to have a shovel man to go out with you.

Snow blowing works well on normal sized drives. long drives a plow would be better, gravel neither one can scrap clean because you'll suck up the rocks or push them with the plow.

Some drives may have no where for the plow to push the snow to. Blowers just shoot the snow onto the lawn.

Generally plows can be faster. Especially when you have a pull plow on the rear and a push plow on the front.

Though it takes a lot more money to get a plow set up.

I am working up to get a plow. May be by next year.

3. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

Thanks for the fast reply. I have around 30 customers in my first full time year. This is my second if you count last year although it was part time. I figure maybe at least 15 will wont snow removal. I will be advertising to get more. The 30" areins is right on the edge of my budget so I cant afford a 36 but would love one. Most of the drives are small and narrow. I have a GMC Seirra extended cab 4x4 that I was thinking for plowing but it will be a tight fit especially with some driveways having french drains. I was feeling the blower would prob be the best bet to get the ball rolling like you did. What time do you normally start snowblowing if its a night storm? If late or really early does the neighbors or customers complain?

4. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

As soon as the snow stops. I have started at dawn if it stopped snowing in the middle of the night.

Thing is now that I have established customers, I was thinking about getting the ok before the storm to start once the snow stops even if it is in the middle of the night. Mainly because I always pick up a lot of one timers and want to get them during the daylight as well before time runs out.

My established customers I don't have to worry about them. I know what the want down, and don't have to worry about them paying me when I'm done so they can stay in bed.

Don't mention season accounts. Not against them just don't have the customers that want them at this point.

5. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

You'll be fine with a 30" & those Ariens are a good blower. He's right about plows, for alot of drives it's just easier to use a snow blower. Next buy a smaller Toro for those smaller snow storms, they come in handy. For established customer's I would do it when ever the snow is done. My customers (the few res's I do) want them done before they go to work & don't mind hearing the snow blower or the blade hitting the cement. Keep at it I used to do that when I was younger, you can make a-lot of $$$ it's just a little more work.

6. coreyod21

coreyod21 Member

so you guys think its best to just wait for them to call since there not in a contract? Or do you guys speak with them ahead of time before the snow hits and let them know that after any storm you will be out to snow blow? Do you guys collect on a weekly basis or right then for your established customers? The cheap people in my area will have problems calling me if there is only 3 in so that why i was thinking contracts. Friend of mine works for a company that does snow blowing contracts and there charging around $230 a season. Id think any more then 12 pushes then I would be loosing my a** at that rate. Forecasting for a alot of snow this year also. Sorry for all the questions just trying to learn the most I can from y'all pros. I really appreciate it. I was just thinking at around 20 per push it will take along time to pay of an investment of $1400 + tax for the blower. Is $20 far for avg drives in the city?