1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plowing trigger

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Jan 7, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

when do you guys go out during a storm.plus whats the least amount you would plow.my res are on a 1 inch deal and my commercials are every 3 inches.if lower im on call

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Im the opposite,1" to plow on commercials,3" on residentials.I salt commercials anyway if we get a dusting,this usually melts everything away.

3. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

3" residentials, no commercial contracts, always on call!

-Tim

4. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

with the residentials i look at it this way.i like having my driveway spotless.plus a driveway doesn't have as much traffic as a parking lot so its more likely to turn into ice where the parking lots turn into slush under 3 so you just have to go in and salt.my residentials don't want sanding.but the past two storms up here i plowed all the accounts with only 2 inches or less of snow

5. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

We run 3" trigger, on both commercial and residential. Seems to work out good for us. Only my opinion though

Rick

6. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I have a 1" trigger on about 20% of my commercial accounts, but everything gets done at 2".

7. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I have: Dusting, 1", 2", and 3" triggers, I am 90% commercial.

8. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

2" trigger. Except 2 days ago when I plowed some at 1" since it had been about 5 weeks since I had been out and really need the revenue.

9. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I hope you called first...

Sounds a bit unethical.

:rolleyes:

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Mostly all of our stuff is commercial,all are 2" triggers for plowing.Anything less just gets burnt off with salt.

Same goes for the limited residentials we have.Will sometimes go out for a little less to keep em happy.

Setting your trigger too low (for plowing),kills your chances for salting smaller amounts = $$$$$

11. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Some of my older customers want their drives plowed more often. They don't mind if I plow less than two inches. Its not unethical.

12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

is 2" for all plowing & anything under 2" is salted :waving:

13. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Trigger

When I did commercial we hit everything, if it dusted or rained and was going to freeze, up to a max of 2" for the ones who really liked to wait. If they did not want the early detection package, they had to sign all sorts of wavers. The residential were allowed to goto 4", because they were all per push, with a price over for 6" in the same occurance. I can understand the benifits of seasonal, but I like having the contract state that if I am not there when needed, they need to call. Provides a little extra piece of mind, expecially when you have areas that are 10 miles away that can get 4-6 when you get dusted.

14. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Residentials are 2" trigger along with some commercials. About 70% of our commercials are 1" trigger. We salt 'em too.

I tried burning down about 3/4" the other day with salt, I was disappointed with the results. I was applying about 400 lbs/acre, a little heavier than I'd normally go. Are you guys really burning down 1.5" to 2" with salt? And if you are, how much are you applying per acre? Does it matter what the moisture content is when burning down snow?

15. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

3" trigger! I'll go out in less to check ones that are known to drift & entrances even tho drifts are on a per call basis.

16. fordman

fordman Senior Member

The few residentials that I have have a 1'' trigger and my commercial accounts have a 3'' trigger. Anything less and I'm on call.

17. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey Doug-

I've noticed a big difference in melting 1-2 inches of snow depending on when you get the salt down. If its down at the first flakes, it will seem to melt much more snow, and I get by with less. If I miss the beginning, and try to melt an inch already down, its much less likely I will be sucessful.

If it turns into a two inch event, I usually am out reapplying by mid day to keep it from turning white because of the dilution factor.

18. Sno

Sno Senior Member

These are some interesting triggers, amazing how much things differ from area to area... Business to business..

All my commercials are keep clear accounts so any snow at all and I plow. Having said that, I do wait till either 2-3" in a storm or till after the storm if less to plow. Dont want to dry up the wells.

My residentials dont really have a trigger, I just plan on doing them when the snow reaches 1" to 1.5" depending on the forcast.

They let me call the shots.
    Pretty much play it by ear, watch the forcast, radar and temp.

If we get 1" but forcast is for 40 degrees, I wont plow. If we get 1" and the forcast is for three days of 15 degrees, I plow.

If they wish any trigger higher than that I have them call in. I figure they either dont trust my decision or they dont really have the money so I let them budget and call all the shots by calling.

Call ins start calling at around 2 - 3" on a first call first serve.

I get swamped with phone calls if we get 6-8"

19. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

20. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

1" residential trigger. No comm accounts.