1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plowing production calculator

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowguys, Sep 10, 2013.

1. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

im looking for a snow plowing production calculator I know my hourly cost. but looking for info on how long jobs would take I know there was a good one on the web a few years ago but cant find I was just seeing you guys know where I could find one

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

If you join SIMA you will obtain access to production rates for various pieces of equipment including regular plows, containment box plows, as well as salt application rates.

You can take these, and develop your own spreadsheet based calculator. There are some pre-built ones out there that I've seen, but the ones I have seen are a joke. Most of these calculators have no way to account for the various snow storage locations on a property (which can affect service times by an easy 100% or more), they cannot account for water run off re-freeze from roof lines and what that will cost you, they also cannot account for the pavement surface (concrete/asphalt) and how the different freezing rates will affect salt usage. How about prevailing wind direction in relation to snow storage locations, and roof lines? Most of the calculators will not factor in the additional money it will cost to come back and plow the snow that blows off the roof or snow piles. I could go on and on with this list, but every company is different which is why I find it most useful to make your own. It all really depends on how detailed you want to get. The more detail, the better. But also more detail is a lot more work to manage.

However, using a calculator is a great start because it will formalize your estimating procedure and allow you to consistently meet your profit goals based on real numbers instead of just guessing or "eyeballing it".

Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

4. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

Lol Olddog I've seen that guy around

Merrimacmill I am a member and have seen the rates I was looking for something online where you can put in sq feet and it gives you a time i know it might be off and i can adjuest it but thanks for all the info