1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plowing opportunity

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, I need everyones input here. I'm 18, in my last year of highschool, and I own a business doing landscaping and stuff, and I do snowblowing in the winter. I also work part time for another landscaping company. The other day my boss offered a position to be a snow plow driver for him. I'd be driving either a skid steere (SWEET!) or a truck. He said that he'd pay me between $10-15 hr. So my main question is, to me this seems like a great opportunity to gain experience for my business in the future, but is the pay enough (worth it) or should I stick by myself? Go or NO? I'm leaning toward go, because I have a crew that help me with my few jobs. Thanks Brant

2. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

We'll In my "opinon" I don't think that is enough I start my guys out at 25 per hour. And then at the end of the year if they Clock 75 hr.s or more I give an extra 2 per hr. Bonous. But that is tottally up to you. Like you Said it is experince I don't know what they pay in your area but its up to you if you wanna be under paid.
    Good luck
    Brian Porter
    Reliable Snow Removal

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It really comes down to what you think. If that works for you; go for it. Like you said - it's experience. Don't worry about what others say - talk is cheap.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The easy decision is rarely the right decision.

When you work for yourself only you place limits on your success. You decision is which would benefit you more. Short term driving for someone else is a guaranty of income with out expense, continuing to do your own thing has better long term potential

Have you considered having your crew do your contracts, while you drove for the other guy?

While 10-15 is a little light, many people pay for their educations and if you feel you can learn from working for your part time boss perhaps the pay scale should not be the issue.

If you do work for the other guy, perhaps a stipulation would be that you drove a truck. It's looks like you already have a truck so a plow would be your next logical step of progression. Some experience at the wheel with someone else paying the equipment expenses could be beneficial in the future.

As Mick said "Don't worry about what others say - talk is cheap."

JMO

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

For your area and your age I would say it is perfect for you.

Get the experience while you are young I would even advise doing it until you are 21.

Make sure you get the 15$ @hr rate and each year at least a $5 increase.

At age 21 you will be of age to get proper insurance and have 3 years experience under your belt to do it your way when you branch off your landscaping biz for plowing. If you need to finance trucks then you will also be of age to do so at that point with a good track record to show whoever fronts you the money you may need.

6. Brant'sLawnCare

Thanks guys! I think that 15 is a little low from what I read on here, but I think it's a great opportunity for me. My next question is: Should I talk to him about putting a plow on my truck and using that (getting paid more of course) or should I use one of his trucks?

Yes, I was going to have my crew take care of my customers. But that depends on how many workers I have.

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Strap on a plow to your truck forsure... That way, you should be gettin atleast $55 / hour, if he is charging $65. Then that way he cant blame you for fryin his tranny or breakin stuff on his already worn out or beat up truck... Much safer byfar... Plowing during high school is a joke man... Go plow for about 8 hours, run home, grab a shower, then blast off to school, be completely out of it by lunch, and sleep through lunch and your afternoon classes..haha, I did it for grade 11 and 12 and loved it plus made some pretty good cash at it... and hay, Im sitting at college right now... so ya defentially go for it man. Plowing is a blast, but it aint for everyone!

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Drive his truck. If you hang a blade on your truck you will need Commercial insurance for your truck.
    $15 is not horrible for no experience, thats what most large companys here start there guys at. $25-$30 is tops here for a driver in a company truck, and at that rate you need to be good.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Will you get 80 hours?

@ $55 hr 80 hrs work will get you $4400.00, deduct taxes, insurance, fuel, and deprecation on the vehicle doesn't leave much to pay for the plow.

80 hours @ $15.00 is $1,200 minus taxes toward the future purchase of a plow and a lot of experience in how to most effectively use it.

10. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i was making $25/hr when i first started but all areas pay different...if i were u id request the truck...i hate plowing with skidsteer and youll get a plow on ur truck for ur biz b4 u buy a skidsteer so i would take the truck...just like u said u will be learnin so if you think the $15/hr is enough take it

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

o.k. where I'm from we can easily put in 80 hours a week a few times a season... then some weeks we may only get 5-10... So strappin on a plow where im from will defentially pay for its self in the first season, but I can see with minimal hours like you guys are talking about why it might not be economical....why would you even put a plow on your truck in the first place if its gonna take 3-4-5 years to pay for its self...

13. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

$15.00 an hour isn't bad around here for plow-truck jockey. We also see snow shovelers (no experience or no DL or just dumb) get $15.00 an hour (cuz its coooollllllddddd!).

Skidsteer jockeys get usually 25-30% more than truck drivers because of the uncomfortable conditions and a lot of extra bumping around. Plus it's tough to drink coffee and have a smoke in that damn little cab.

I'd say the max for plow truck drivers around here is $25.00 / hr. as a driver but you have to be damned good. No accidents, no broken stuff, and be doing at least 100% of your billed labor. Subcontractors see an average of 60-65% of what the job is bid for. You keep $65.00 if the lot pays $100.00 to the company.

Plowing around here is $75.00 an hour for trucks with front plows and or V-plows. If you have a salter, a v-plow (and or pull plow) basically a full service truck and also back-up equipment to cover your butt in break-downs. You can command around $125.00 an hour doing commercial properties. There are way to many here today and gone tomorrow plow-jockeys that businesses are getting fed-up with unreliable service and are starting to pay more for the service.

14. Brant'sLawnCare

I'm still waiting for the ok from my parents. But if they say ok, then I'll take it. Why don't you guys like plowing with skid steeres? Seems like they'd be really fun.

15. Brant'sLawnCare

That's funny! But I don't go to public school. I'm homeschooled, so I can do my work whenever. So I think that it will work out ok. Thanks for the help.

16. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

wow i must either be in the wrong area or else theres some suff being flung around here as far what people are paying and getting paid

17. Brant'sLawnCare

Why do you say that?

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They are; for about 20 minutes, then they get cold, hard and tough on the body. Visibility sucks, if you have a cab you can't keep the windows clean enough to see out of, no cab an you're wet and cold quick. No radio and forget about cell phone communication. There is no suspension, no place to put your coffee and no give when you wack something. Not as bad if you're pushing a plow or pusher rather then a bucket, but not near as comfortable work place as a truck cab.

JMO

As far as pricing, every place is different, the more snow the lower the hourly wage. When you have to make the money for your equipment on 20 inches a winter you need a lot more per inch then places that get 60 inches per winter. Other factors like the cost of living, employment levels, area travel requirments also enter in to it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007