1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plowing only for business?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by circlelawn, Dec 18, 2010.

1. circlelawn

circlelawn Junior Member
    from ohio

I am debating about selling my share of my lawn care / lawncare business to my partner and just going into snow and ice management. The lawn care businesses i feel is a losing battle and i feel i could be more profitable and have less hassles by focusing on just snow plowing. I would like to eventually sell landscaping supplies as well to have constant income all year round. How many of you only do snow and ice management? is this a good/bad idea? what should i be careful of? thank you for your input

2. FinerCuts

FinerCuts Member
    from Iowa

What happens if the winter isn't good? Would you make enough money in the winter to barely make it through the summer or would you be able to spend money like you would if you had a job in the summer. Anything is possible but managing money would be a huge issue.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Specially in Ohio. One year we get hammered, the next 4 years it doesn't pay enough to mess with hardly.

4. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Same in Michigan one year great the next greatly missed, snow is hard to predict.

5. k5PlowGuy

k5PlowGuy Member

If you want to make money only snowplowing I would get your client base into seasonal contracts.

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Thats where I am heading. Just snow, and selling snow products. All our contracts are seasonal.

7. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

Snow & Ice management here only also. We still bid out the mowing& fertilizing to our winter clients. Then sub that out to sub contractors that work for us during the winter time that have their own mowing business. That way we can offer a year round property maintence to our clients and keep everything under one company.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  8. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

That being said what do you do all winter? I'm just curious.

9. TPC Services

Really!!! ??? I suntan nude in the Bahamas all winter !!! :dizzy: I plow like the rest of us!!! Hello!!

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if you could predict how much snow you will get each year you would have a better idea if you can make it only doing snow

11. TPC Services

Thats why getting a few seasonal or yearly multi year contract clients are a good thing. Really helps out to always now your getting a check once a month no matter what.

12. plowking15

plowking15 Member

I think the selling landscape supplies along with snow plowing could be a good match. Location is everything for landscape supplies. There are a few places near me that have cubicles of different materials. They are self serve or they load you with a loader.Landscapers might buy from you if you weren't in competiton with them. One place has a loader in their yard to sell you salt or mix during the storm. Another thing is maybe there isn't enough profit for a partnership. plowking

13. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

Haha, sorry I meant to ask what do you do all summer.