1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plowing in the U.P. of MI. New member

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TaskForce, Sep 8, 2014.

1. TaskForce

TaskForce Junior Member

Hi everyone,
    I just joined the site. I have very little experience plowing. I am considering doing some snow plowing this year for some extra money. I'm in Marquette of the Michigan U.P., so there's no shortage of snow here during the winter. Does anyone know what business is like here? super competitive, etc.
    I'm also looking for a used plow to mount onto a 1984 Dodge Ram W250 (318 gasser). Any help or information would be really useful.
    -Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Find a company, and work for them for awhile. Use there equipment and see if you like it first

3. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I would personally buy a plow for your truck and sub-contract for another company for a year or two. Before you do that though, call a few places around you and find out what they pay, and what they require for insurance. Some companies won't let you work for them due to the age of your truck.

4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Dieselss is correct. Don't spend the money to find out the long nights/job isn't for you. Also, in my opinion a 30 year old truck probably isn't the best truck to get started with. I know how much it snows up there...that old girl would be getting a heck of a workout.

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome..... Sub contract for someone.

6. TaskForce

TaskForce Junior Member

Thanks for the info. Yeah, subcontracting looks like it'll be the way to go. The truck is actually in decent condition considering it's age. It's a manual and only has 130xxx miles on it. The reason I want to put a plow on it is because it already has a frame mount for it.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You're full of it, Marquette doesn't get any snow................