1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plowing hours

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chicago roofer, Jul 18, 2009.

1. chicago roofer

chicago roofer Junior Member
    from Chicago

I was wondering how does it compare in different regions.
    How many snow plowing hours or snow plowing and salting hours did you have last winters in your area?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Each time or total?

3. chicago roofer

from Chicago

I thought total for the past.. lets say 3 seasons per one working truck. But we can do both. ussmileyflag

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I do about 250-300 hours a season.

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Me or one of my guys ?
    Me 3-400+ hrs (I havn't ever sat down to figure it out)
    My guys 100-150

I generally take care of the service calls, first in last out, dispatching, all salt only runs, etc.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I probably averaged 18-20 hours a storm last year, one truck by myself. Definitely too much. I will have at least one more, if not two more plow trucks on the road this year. If the Lord is really good, I might even have an ex-dot dump.

So 18-20 hours, 18-20 storms, 350-400 hours.

7. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I probably had about 400 hours the last 2 years. My workers probably had close to 300 or so.

8. chicago roofer

from Chicago

So far with have a range of 100 to 400 hours.
    I am told that here in Chicago trucks who do snow plowing and salting or sanding get 10 times more hours than those who do snow plowing only. Would that be similar with you?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope. Only reason I have the sander is because I need it to get my commercials/schools. Not a lot of subbing in this area anyway.

10. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What you need to remember is those 3-400 hours are not always billable :salute:
    As far as 10x more thats a stretch for sure. We get a lil more snow up on the state line then you guys do but no way in heck double the hours for salt.
    The profits higher in salt, but so is the investment.
    IMO less hours with more or equall take is were its at payup

11. miltonplower

miltonplower Senior Member
    from ontario

for me over 500 hours fixing fleet and calling drivers and plowing my self

12. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

i had 339 billable hours personally last year, 491 the year before.

13. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Last year kinda sucked after December was over.

14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a guess to me.....:rolleyes:

15. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

2 trucks, tractor/blower and walk behind blower breakdown (all on site equipment):
    793 miles on primary plow truck.
    67 miles on backup/sand truck.
    34 hours on tractor/blower/loader.
    Can't say how many hours on snowblower. I would guess roughly double the tractor hours.
    Was a light winter here. Can't say for hours really right now...

16. tinffx

tinffx Member

I took last year off, and it was a good one to have off since it only snowed over an inch once, on march 1st. I would say a typical year for me would be about 50-100 hours driving someone else's truck. I'm hoping that to be about double in my own truck but that is probably wishful thinking. I'm figuring 6 events with 10-15 hours per event this upcoming season. I wonder how that will line up against the almanac. We usually have to hurry up and plow before it melts.

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Tinffx:
    I just left Virginia Beach this morning. Do you get much snow down there? One guy I ran into retired from Ohio said most of the events are ICE. My Wife wants to move down there in about 10 years. I thought, humm ,F-450 flat bed with a V box and my own salt bunker. A plow on it would make it even better if you got a great event.

18. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

Lol, do you have any totals Jim? I'd have to imagine you're rolling in the high thousands.

19. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we have a $2 per hour worked bonus for the end of the season (for perfect attendance), so I have a spreadsheet set up with everyones total hours for each season.