1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plowing accessories?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by hatchmastr, Oct 25, 2012.

1. hatchmastr

hatchmastr Senior Member
    from 516

im new to plowing got a setup last year . got a couple contracts and we didnt get anythig not one plowable event. what a great invistment ,-(

anyway im hoping this year will be better

just trying to think what i should have in the truck for worst case senario
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Truck and plow type?
  3. hatchmastr

hatchmastr Senior Member
    from 516

gmc 2500 seirra
    8ftwestern unimont strt blade
    snow ex pivot bulk pro 1875
    arien pro 28

I lost my pants buying all this last year not making one dollar with the snow
  4. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

What's the paper bag for? Lunch size, Grocery Size, or Lawn Leaf Bag Size?

For starters try a plow emergency kit, a basic tool kit, BFH, extra hose and fluid, jumper cables, bailing wire, duct tape, oil, atf, water, brake fluid, change of cloths, jack, pull strap, racket straps, flashlight, more than 1 pen.
  5. hatchmastr

hatchmastr Senior Member
    from 516

im geussing i should have a extra hi pressure hose , hydrolic fluid . ,realy
    just finding to figure out what parts are common brake downs on plow setups
  6. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I've never had common truck breakdowns if there is such a thing. Only twisted mounts, dragging exhaust, torn brake lines, doors stuck open, hoses burst, etc. Pack a bag with what I put in the last post. It will let you McGyver out of most situations and at least get you home. Plowing breakdowns generally are the result of hitting something or having unmaintained equipment. I've made belts out of wire and duct tape, secured doors and exhaust with bailing wire, pinched off water hoses with clamps, taped flashlights to the plow frame, strapped broken mounts to the frame.

The best thing you can do is make sure your stuff is good to go before you go out to begin with. Obviously the big one is do not hit anything.
  7. MWSAI

MWSAI Member

Flashlight, basic hand tools ie: screw drivers, sockets, ratchet wrenches, a couple of plow pins. a hose or two, 2 - 3 quarts of plow oil. Just check your equipment before you go out and after you get back. Do your preventative maintenance early. Change that rusty / corroded plow solenoid now rather than during the snow. Keep a snow shovel handy as a just in case lol.
  8. JT SNOW

JT SNOW Member

Spare pair of underwear and toilet paper......:eek:
  9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Coffee, sirius radio, multiple pens, a clipboard and all the tools & parts these guys have mentioned. Oh and s cell phone to make that embarrassing 'I'm stuck' call.