1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plowin

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by 90plow, Mar 27, 2002.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

snow plowin
    I work for a landscaper and have been into smalltime plowing for a couple years. I have heard that there is a company that will set you up wiht a contract for parking lots and other areas for a fee or percentage and they pay by the amount of equipment and stuff. I dont know if this is just a jersey thing or if thsi is nationwide i forget the name of it. But i was seriously thining about jooinign and getting some equipment starting out small and developing from there after college I want to be either an engineer or architect so i would be able to do this i believe. Do you think this is a good idea or a waste of time.
    thanks '
    Eric

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

SMG

how does SMG work i heard they sub out and will find a place for you to plow? Do they take a cut of what you make or how does it work? who pays you the companie or SMG?

Insurance is a must and i was wondering who will if anyone provide insurance for plowing to a 17 year old male in NJ? How much do you guys pay?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm really thinking about trying to get a lot for next season. I only have one truck though so that may be a problem.
    Thanks in advance
    Eric
    75- dont worry bout it.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

you can do more than one lot with a truck long as they are close to one another.have not heard of such a co but you might try to call a big co tham will sub out there lots to you.

4. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

its called Snow manenagement Group 75 or someone told me about it. But that is a good idea to go to larger companies.

5. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Snow Management Group is probably the most well known company here at plowsite. John Allin owns it, and Chuck Smith is employed there (both are moderators here at plowsite).

If you do a search for SMG or Snow Management Group I am sure you will find many posts concerning sub-contracting.

Sub-contractors (like you) are paid by the contractor (SMG etc). They are awarded the contract by the client, and pay you as an independent contractor to perform the work. Of course they make a profit (that's what businesses do) but you also make a profit.

The advantage to you, is that you don't have to find new clients and get a signed contract (which is the hard part). And you don't have to bill the clients, and collect the money.
    The disadvantage is that you make less than if you were to get a contract on your own (assuming you price it to make a profit).

For many guys starting out, there are alot less headaches by working as a sub-contractor.

6. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Here's the web site for SMG:

www.snowmanagementgroup.com

Regarding insurance, rates vary from state to state so fellow NJ members should be able to help you with some numbers there. It probably won't be cheap though............. :eek: