1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plow trouble

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by micksurb, Feb 1, 2016.

1. micksurb

micksurb Junior Member

i have a northern plow with a monarch pump and my blade will not turn to the left and every thing else works fine what do i do to fix it i live in nebraska and we are to get 8 to 16 inchs today into tomorrow.can anyone give me some ideas of what to do ALSO THANKS FOR LETTING ME JOIN THIS PLOW SITE IM A NEW BEE AT PLOWING.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

First thing I would try, see if you can get a wiring diagram for your set up.
    Next what I would try, test light the coils to see if your getting signal to them via the controller. It is better to remove the pos cable going to the plow motor so it's not running while your doing the tests.

3. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Dieselss is right.

It could also be a hydraulic issue. Specifically, the left ram, or the valves (including crossover valve).

4. micksurb

micksurb Junior Member

I have checked for power to the coils they all have power and the pump runs when i flip the switch i release the pressure off the left cylinder and it goes back then tighten everything and the blade goes right back to the left when i raise the plow

5. micksurb

micksurb Junior Member

Do the valves have screens on them to clean if so how and what one is it it has six coils and valves i believe also i was told the valve comes out in two pieces is that true also will it hurt to push snow with it the way it is?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Post a picture of your pump.

Did it work before?

the wiring diagrams are critical, it could be as simple as a bad wiring job, I believe that unit defaults to neutral, AKA does nothing but spin the pump, no plow action. What happens when you ask it to angle right? or angle left? Does it raise while angling?

7. micksurb

micksurb Junior Member

Yes it worked before which was a week and a half ago and when i went to take it off i went to turn it and it would not move

8. micksurb

micksurb Junior Member

And yes everything else works up down and when i release the line to turn it left i can turn it right AND I WILL POST A PICTURE HERE IN A LITTLE WHILE ITS STILL DARK HERE

9. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

It shouldn't hurt to run as is. The valves do not have screens, but ports that can become clogged.

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not familiar by any means with monarch, however your statement if they all have power seems wrong to me IMO. Not saying it can't be how the system works, but 3 valves (assuming at least 3) all have power at the same time.

Was anything done to the truck/plow in the meantime?

11. micksurb

micksurb Junior Member

No they have power to them when i swith to that action movement except the down i dont know if ithat has a coil i believe what i m looking at are the coils i assume they are but im going to post a pic in a couple minutes , FUNNY THING I HAVE TWO TRUCKS SAME COLOR SAME BRAND AND 2 YEARS APART WENT TO GO TAKE PIC AND TRUCK IS GONE I LEFT IT AT MY BROTHERS WOW WHAT A DIP **** I AM BUT I WILL POST IT TODAY THANKS FOR THE REPLYS THOUGH. SHOULD BE ABOUT HOUR FOR THE PICTURES.

12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

So one doesn't work, and the others stolen?

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Who needs a plow to go left anyway

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Could be lowside switched;)