1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plow tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tom Smith, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Tom Smith

Tom Smith Senior Member
    from IL

whats the best tire for a plow truck?

All Season or an All Terrain tire ? Whats the difference. Which one is slimmer i dont want a fat tire...

Also do u know what BSW and OWL mean for tires

2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

BSW = Black Side Wall

OWL = Outlined White Letters

The tires will be about the same size between tire types. It is the size ratio that matters.

235/85R16 vs 265/75R16

The 235 is tread with in millimeters. The 85 is the aspect ratio and the R16 refers to a rim diameter of 16 inches. These two tire sizes are aprox. the same overall diameter but the 265 is going to be wider.
  3. and if a tire size starts with "LT" as in LT 31x10.5, it's a light truck tire different from the "P" as in P235 75 R16. An all terrain tire will have a beefy tread as opposed to an season or car tire as I like to call them ;)
  4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

An all season radial is NOT a snow tire. An all season tire is fine if all of your seasons have rain and none or very little snow. But if your seasons were like that I don't think you would be a member here. :waving: All terrain tires and snow tires are generally similar and interchangeable to a point. Another way to compare tires is the rating s they all carry for treadwear, temperature and traction.
  5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

It is my experience and opinion that the selection of plowing tires depends on the type of work to be done. I plow on paved lots and plow as I go so all seasons work well for me. If you do driveways and back in through deep snow or use a rear pull plow then I recommend snow or all terrain tires. Warning. Do not use all seasons or for that matter snows without ballast in rear bed behind wheels. You will spin the rear out of control on slush or when braking. There is much debate here now for banning all season tires in winter and I think this will happen. I am an advocate of this. Too many deaths because of them and in-experienced drivers. All seasons will float a light vehicle on wet snow covered highways. Sorry, but sometimes the old ways are the best. Snow tires in winter and summer tires in summer is still the way to go. Would love to have summer tires on my vehicles but the cost now is prohibitive.
  6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Neither. You want an LT (Light Truck) in an M&S (Mud and Snow). Go to a tire dealer and look at the obvious difference. Then talk to the dealer for the more detailed differences.
  7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Check out Tire rack for good ideas on tires. Never bought from them, my local dealers always match their price...Chuck
  8. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

All these replys and nobody asked what truck you are using? Another consideration is if you will need to use tire chains. You need to read the vehicle manual to see what tire sizes are allowed with what SAE class tire chains.
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

cooper stt tires they have an option for studs the best thing i have seen