1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow: Timbren Vs Bilstein

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by GBjunior87, Feb 17, 2015.

1. GBjunior87

GBjunior87 Junior Member

I'm in the process of purchasing a Fisher SD series plow for my 07 Tundra. I was looking for some feedback on what is better to purchase to help with front end sag?.. Timbren or Bilstein??.. I read some forums on both but still going back and forth on them. I talked with plow dealer and they said a lot of people have Timbren. I was also wondering about ride comfort with Timbren?

Thanks.

2. JSutter101

JSutter101 Member

I have Bilstein 5100's on my Frontier. I would absolutely recommend them. I have mine set at 2" of lift.

I have not installed or used Timbrens, but I have seen them in person. I'm not really impressed with them as I like suspension travel. The only way I'd recommend them is if you do not want to lift your truck.

How are your struts now? If they have more than 60k miles I'd say replace them.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I had 3 or 4 trucks with Timbrens once upon a time, never again.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have Bilstein 5100's on my Tundra with an 8' HD Fisher. I also would absolutely recommend them. I have mine set at 2.5" of lift. I also have Timbrens but, it doesn't even ride on them unless I hit a bump. With a 7.5' SD I would just go with Bilstiens. You won't need Timbrens with a light plow.

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

I am happy with timbrens on my 2500HD but I didn't lift it, just wanted something a little stiffer than the factory rubber spring when hitting bumps carrying a V plow and the heavy diesel engine. My dad has a VXT on his duramax without timbrens and gets along just fine.

6. Aero750

Aero750 Junior Member

can you explain why you say never again. I been thinking about timbrens for my f250. all I heard and read is all good

7. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

They do make the ride rough but they definitely help carry the weight of a plow

8. GBjunior87

GBjunior87 Junior Member

Thanks guys for your input!
    I'm definitely going to get a set of Bilstein 5100's
    One more quick question what's a good height to set them at?
    Cause I like my truck at the stock height I just want enough height to support the plow and clearance.
    Thanks Again.

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I wouldn't recommend a shock to do a springs work... Shock mounts aren't designed to carry a load and you run the risk of breaking off the mount itself. I've run timbrens on 2 of my vehicles with no troubles. Probably the best thing you could do is upgrade your springs if you are having saging troubles or downgrade your plow to a much lighter plow.

10. GBjunior87

GBjunior87 Junior Member

I'm looking to get the Fisher SD series which weighs around 480lbs..I've heard from a lot of plow owners that have tundras and they use the SD Plow they recommend the shocks. The fisher dealer also recommend this plow cause it's a light plow The other plow owners also said the timbrens are only effective if you hit a bump and a cause a rough ride.

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

That's not necessarily true... Timbrens, when installed correctly, have about 1/2 to 1 inch clearance between the bottom of the Timbren and the top of the control arm or whatever surface it is supposed to make contact with. When you are running with out the plow, you should notice no difference in ride quality because the factory shocks and springs are absorbing the load. Its when you have the plow on and raised the Timbrens become effective.

If your really worried about it, you should consider a 3/4 ton or bigger truck to plow with. Light duty trucks and half tons really aren't designed for plowing, although everybody, including myself, does it.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry, missed this.

Very rough ride. Hitting a pothole and bottoming out hard caused me to cringe.

Had them on a leaf spring truck and we broke the pins in the draw latch regularly. Removed the Timbrens and the problem stipped.

Had them on 2 coil sprung trucks. Frames cracked on both. Partially from the Timbrens, partially because blizzard changed the truck side mount and the rear bolt was too close to a factory hole in the frame.

Air bags carry the weight without sacrificing the ride.

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

X2 on bags..

14. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A Toyota Tundra with a 7.5' SD Fisher DOES NOT need Timbrens or air bags on the front end.

I set my Bilstein 5100's all the way up so, I can get the full 2.5" lift.

15. GBjunior87

GBjunior87 Junior Member

Thanks again guys for all your helpful info

16. GBjunior87

GBjunior87 Junior Member

Thanks for your input

17. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

It probably DOES NOT need Bilstein's either... It would probably do just fine with the factory suspension. The op just desires to minimize sag, and all the products listed above I'm sure will do the job. Its really an opinion on what is going to do the best job. From an ASE certified mechanic point of view, If I'm going to add aftermarket parts, I still wouldn't put the additional stress on my shock towers... I would put it where the factory would...

18. immortal.ben

immortal.ben Member

This is the most technically correct answer. If you think you need to install Timbrens, what you really need is a stiffer suspension. Timbrens are a cheap way of covering up an inadequate suspension.

I run Bilsteins, but I also installed a very beefy suspension. The leafs or coils, depending in your truck, and their mounts, are engineered to take the abuse.

19. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

im not running anything just a few cranks of torsion bars

20. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

You're absolutely right Plowtoy! Timbrens are only active when u have a plow raised and otherwise they have no affect on the ride quality.