1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plow shovel performance

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I tried using the search but just found a bunch of "stuff" on shovels, nothing specific on the snow plow shovel. I want my guys to be more productive when shoveling and right now we run a few single stage Toro's, large 2 stage Ariens and regular shovels. We picked up a plaza where the sidewalks are long but not very deep (maybe like 6ft x 175ft long). My thought was to buy a couple of the 48" models and have them make the 6ft passes and pile into the lot. Theres a few other longer (30 x 8ft) sidewalks that can be just pushed off to the sides as well. My question is how are they when there's 3-6" of snow. Do they become too heavy to push being that wide.

2. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I personally think that they would get too heavy to push with 3-6 inches although you may be ok since your only going 6ft. What about getting the style with wheels on them. Two guys with those should be able to knock some sidewalk out on those long runs. We run these at our strip malls.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I have a few 36" wide and they're about as wide as you want to go if you're shoveling more than a few inches especially if there's any slush and the snow is wet. Plus just handling/running a 48" is a handful.

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Brian, why are you not putting a skid steer on sidewalks that are that wide? We put a bobcat on any walk it would fit onto and not tear up grass or surrounding landscape.
    As far as those shovels pushing 3-6" of snow, I have a few of the 36"(I think??) and wouldn't even consider it, just way to much to push or lift. The light snowfalls sure.

5. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

This is a good idea.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I thought about that but by the time the skid steer warmed up I would think they'd be half way done and there's a few sections with those pillars, a Coke machine, a propane tank exchange cabinet and 2 other vending machine things.