1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow Renewal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danthegrassman, Sep 28, 2003.

1. danthegrassman

danthegrassman Member

We plow residential and a few commerical lots when is the best time to renew the accounts? I sent out already a couple notices on the commericals and signed up two residentials for the season (because they are going to florida next week).

Would 2nd week of October be too late?.

FYI our season is Dec 1 to Mar 31.
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Now Now Now
    Rainy Sunday = me sending out renewals, BTW I am about 2-3 weeks late on this.
  3. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

All our commercial that could be renewed were in spring(we plow some public stuff that has to go out to bid). Still negotiating with two commercials, were per trip last season, now wanted seasonal pricing also", we have the properties just don't have payment plan. Residentials were sent out 2 weeks ago & are trickling in.
  4. danthegrassman

danthegrassman Member

My usual renewal return is a good 90% so i don't bother till October. The new accounts I usually begin late September to early October. Remember I only have about usually 10% to fill up especially after the nice year we had last year.

This year I have an extra 50 customer spots open for a new driveway clearing team I will set up this year. Other then that it pretty much will be the same. Hopefully I'll pick up a few extra lots but other then That i fell confident for this year.

What is the earliest most people start?
    How do you go about renewing in March or April when the contract ends?

Thanks for the responses!
  5. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

I guess it all depends on your business situation.

We sent out our renewals for residentials in August. We have learned that customers usually wait till the last minute to send in. So we pushed up our typical send out date from Sept 15th to Aug. 15th. I like to have all contracts signed and in before October 15th. This way you can set up routes and have your drivers ready before the season starts.

Our contract starting date is Nov. 1st, so it is important to have all things ready prior to that date.

Chuck B.
  6. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

I have progressively renewed earlier each year. At first, I sent them out September 1, then moved to August 1. But every summer I would get a few phone calls from customers in July wanting to know about renewal, because they did not want to forget about it later. So I decided to start sending out contracts July 1. The positive response was overwhelming. This year, I included the renewal contract in our end-of-season letter and mailed them out May 1 (our season goes through April). We had most of our contracts back by the end of July. I give a "deadline" of October 1, but there will always be the procrastinators who wait until the first snow falls to send in their contract. But by having most of the contracts back early in the summer, we have a better idea of how much more new work to market for. I use straighforward wording in the letter to let the customers know that the reason I am sending their renewals that early is so we will be completely prepared in advance of the first storm.

Even in areas that have shorter seasons, from various posts I have read, May is not too early to start renewing.

Another benefit to early renewal is you beat out the lowballers who are trying to get your accounts in the fall.

For marketing to new residential customers, I send out a direct mailing August 1, and include the October 1 deadline. New commercial customers we want to target, we start at the beginning of summer, because it seems that it often takes several months to go through the corporate hierarchy and red tape.

If you have a certain number of new contracts that you want to take on, then in your letter say something along the lines of, "We have a limited number of openings in our schedule for new customers. Once these spots are full, no further openings for this season will be available. Don't miss out on this limited opportunity, call us today."
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2003