1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow Rates 2004/05

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by VALLEYWIDEPA, Oct 20, 2004.

1. VALLEYWIDEPA

VALLEYWIDEPA Member
    from pa

These are national averages. You can Prorate them to your specific area's

Rate guidelines for snow plowing:

please sticky this so no it dont get lost :help:

Residential-
    15'x50' =$25
    20'x50' =$30
    25'x75' =$40
    50'x50' =$40
    50'x100'=$55
    or $150-170 per hour

Commercial-
    50'x100'=$75
    100'x100'=$100
    or $175-200 per hour

Roads-
    $125 per 1/4 mile

60% added to plowing rate for salt and/or sand
    80% added to plowing rate for calcium chloride

Our billing is based on the reading of our weather station which is located at our regional airport. Our services are priced according to 3" increments. We try very hard to be at every account at least once every 6" during major events.

Sand/Cinder is based at the rate of $125/ton distributed (cost $25/ton). Ice Melt is $15/bag applied and Rock Salt is $12 (cost $5.50 & $3).

Front End Loaders avg $175/hr with operator. If you operate a heated dump trailer, you avg approximately $100/hr hauling snow. Medium duty trucks w/ 10' plows avg. $150-200/hr and 4wd's avg $75-125/hr. Skid steers with brooms or throwers avg $50/hr incl operator. If your stacking/removing snow you can get around $70/hr for the machine with the operator.

If you are a sub contractor the going rate is $25/hr for your 4wd. If your a driver for an outfit/wing man you should avg. $12-18/hr.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  2. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

lol.....those figures are so far from being true that its crazy

thats completly insane

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

We don't get near that much in my area... Almost worth relocating!!!!

4. VALLEYWIDEPA

VALLEYWIDEPA Member
    from pa

ok sir u tell me what are the correct ones and reread my original post

5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I would think that it varies everywhere.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes. That's the concept behind "average". These figures may, in fact, apply to nowhere in particular.

Besides, I've seen from somewhere else, valleywidepa states that he posted the figures from the wrong file, supposedly an older version.

Correction - these are the newer amounts. Sorry.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Valleywide, I too post on the "other" site. Don't you have something to tell us? ;)

8. Mick

from Maine

Me, too. Actually, several "snowplowing" sites. Well, I guess I was wrong. The "averages" did actually apply to somewhere.

9. Frank Lopez

Frank Lopez Junior Member

National Average Prices

Hello Everyone-New comer to this site,Enjoy reading boards,I find your topic interesting because it does apply to some of us. We work hard to acheive our goals and can command these prices. Your info is right on the money

10. VALLEYWIDEPA

VALLEYWIDEPA Member
    from pa

heres a question i never got asked before. i was asked by a an apt complex to give an estimate on 1. per push, 2. by the hour and 3. what it would cost to have someone sit there from beginning to end. i actually thought about charging $50,000 for number 3 for the season

11. NPCInc

NPCInc Junior Member

I've got a price related question. For those of you who do lawn care as well and you give a year-long rate, do you use an avg of pushes per season to get your price? I would like to know the avg pushes per season over a long period. Mick, you might have my best answer as you're not far from me in Maine. I've been asked to bid a residential care facility and give a per month price, snow or no snow. My brother in central Vermont uses about 20-22 push/season avg.

Thanks!

12. Mick

from Maine

I don't do lawn care, but I have kept records for snowfall dates and amounts for the last four years. Also, the 30 year average for Augusta (nearest to you with records) is 74". For calculating a seasonal price, with a 3" trigger I use a factor of "12". By that, I don't mean I actually push 12 times, but I've figured it out so that if I take the amount I charge for a 3"-6" push, multiple it by 12, I will have a seasonal rate. Where you've been asked to bid a residential care facility and give a per month price, you want to first determine what they want. If there is a "Request For Proposal", that would be best as it should spell out the services they want and the frequency they want them. If there is no RFP, then talk to the Administrator and take notes. Don't give a price until you've had a chance to look over the site using the specs in the RFP.

If you'd like to go over anything, let me know. I realize you may not need all the information above or it may be too elementary for you, but I like to cover things that may not be needed rather than vice versa.

13. NPCInc

NPCInc Junior Member

Mick, thanks for the reply and the numbers. Just so I can spell it out for myself, if you had a yard that you typically would charge $100 for one push, all season would be $1200?

14. Mick

from Maine

Yes, if the $100 was for 3" to 6" with a 3" trigger. With a lower trigger, the seasonal rate would be higher. Also, that is assuming you get a three-year contract with built-in adjustments for inflation. I had someone request a one-year seasonal contract this year with "zero accumulation". I used a factor of "30".

Last edited: Oct 22, 2004
  15. NPCInc

NPCInc Junior Member

That was a good description of how the details seriously affect your factor. This particular account is a residential care facility for mentally handicapped and they need at least a path cleared at 3" intervals for ambulance access. I estimated a little under an hour to completely clear and was going to bid $120 per push. They'll also need pretty constant sand/salt. I think given the number of visits I'll have to make I would use a factor greater than 12 with your system.

Thanks for the input.
    JD

16. Silverhowie

Silverhowie Junior Member

I hope 4evergreenlawns doesn't look on this site also

17. Mick

from Maine

Probably. But anyone reading this needs to consider that the advice I'm giving NPCInc is specific to the conditions I noted and to this general area getting the snowfall that I noted. NPCInc is about 30 miles from me and gets the same general snowfalls as I do. If anyone wants to use a "factor", you'll need the number of snowfalls of particular amounts for your area considering the "trigger" you want to apply. For instance, if someone wanted a seasonal price for their driveway which I figure is worth $25 a push for 6", I'd figure $25x12=$300 for the winter. I've calculated it several times in different scenarios and it works out real close to what I get for a total per season from that account.

18. NPCInc

NPCInc Junior Member

no idea what that means but I appreciate the advice Mick.