1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow Questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jclodfe2, Nov 16, 2004.

1. jclodfe2

jclodfe2 Junior Member

I am a proud owner of a 2005 chevy 2500 4x4 and currently looking at snowplows for my truck. I have a few small lots and a couple driveways that I would be clearing. The only thing is that I don't have the snow plow prep package. Will this hinder my decision on whether I can do this or not? i have talked with Meyer and they gave me a quote of $3650.00 for a 7.5ft blade, but the truck needs the snow plow prep package. I am new to this whole snow plow on your truck deal. I am use to skidsteer or tractor snow removal. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason

2. If your thinking of making this a serious rig for some serious snow removal, then I would consider fisher or blizzard. Your truck would handle either one, and with it being a HD, you may not need to do much to make it snow plow ready. I have a 3500, that did not have snow plow prep package and I did not do anything to it. Main concern would be to have a tranny cooler, and if the truck sags to much with the plow on, just put on a set of timbrens and you'd be ready to go. Do a search for Plow Polls and take a look at what everyone has to say about the plow choices. :waving:

3. jclodfe2

jclodfe2 Junior Member

Not really going to do snow removal commercially, just some private driveways and a couple of parking lots. i am in Southern Indiana so not huge amounts of snow like other places but ice and slush usually cause the most problems with the occasional snow.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Its hard to make $ plowing snow if you are going to just do a bit here and there for one big reason. Insurance is a killer, it cost pretty big bucks even if you tell your co that you are going to do landscaping or something like that but you may do snow removal too(just a snow removal policy is a lot more). Another opion(but you still need proper insurance) is to get on as a sub for another contractor. then you just worry about plowing and not having to get contracts and all that buissnes stuff. Most subs make btw 40-70 an hour or so. Unless you don’t want to run with proper insurance and want to take the risk, that’s your choice.

I would also personally steer clear from Meyers. Maybe a western or a boss or a blizzard or a fisher.

Do you have a 2500 or a 2500HD? There is a BIG difference. And what is your fawr? It should be on the door sticker. Also what motor and do you have a reg cab or ext or crew or what? What lenght bed?

5. jclodfe2

jclodfe2 Junior Member

My truck is a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, ext. cab, short bed, 6.0 gasser, 4x4. Talked to my salesman at the dealership and is going to get some quotes for a 8' western plow. Thats is what the dealership has on there personal truck to push snow. Said he could get one for my truck and installed for about 3800.00. Doesn't sound to bad to me.

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

A would stay away from a Blizzard because they are heavy and expensive for the work you suggest. A 2500 is fine for a resonable plow as is and yes on tranny cooler. If you buy new also remeber that Fisher, Meyer and Western offers full 2 year warranties, Boss and Blizzard does not for what it is worth.