1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow Prep

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bert, Aug 11, 2003.

1. bert

bert Member

Im buying a 2003 duramax 2500hd exteneded cab it does not have the snow plow prep does this truck need the heavier suspension from the snow plow prep or with it being the diesel motor is it beafed up enough:drinkup:
  2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

Honestly, if you want to snowplow why wouldnt you buy a truck with the factory plow package?
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Bert,in your case i dont think its really a huge deal to have the plow prep. Your not missing out on a heck of a lot. I knwo the plow prep has 130 amp alt(very nice),and the HD torsion bars,,and the in cab switch,and wire for a warning light. If the deals right id get it anyway,and add timbren boosters to the front end,it should be fine.
  4. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

What does the plow prep package add?

I bought an '03 2500HD extended cab short bed for $7000.00 under sticker, but it has no plow package. I am going to turn up the torsion bars about an inch, add the timbrens and get an alingment to adjust the front end.
  5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you are on the right track. Although I do have snow plow prep package, I still am going to crank up the torsion bars, add a set of Timbrens and get the front end realigned.
  6. bert

bert Member

oo7 does yours have the duramax----I to got about 7-8k off sticker but sounds like Ill do what you guys are doin torsion bars and timbermins thanks alot the only other diff I found out with no snow plow prep was a skid plate on the transfer case and one skid plate under the front axel:salute:
  7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Warranty on your truck.
    W/O plow prep they can void your warranty.
    Meaning if your kill your tranny you better be really good friends with the dealer.

Suspension, Aux light switch, Tranny cooler, larger alternator.
    A lot of what is included in the trailering package.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  8. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

sounds like you got it covered . I hope dealer doesn't give you a hassle(warranty) cause your plowing without a prep package. check it out with them first
  9. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Guys you can go up 6 turns on the torsion bars before you need to worry about your tires. Problem is when you take the plow off the truck rides like crap. So if the weather looks good i just jack up the truck and take the turns back out..a whole 5 min. process. takes me longer to find the 1/2" drive rachet and 3/4" socket.

I go 6 turns with my 03' and run 600# of weight in the bed. My plow is pretty heavy.. so you may not need to go that many turns.
  10. bert

bert Member

I talked to the dealer again today he said no problem on the warranty for the tranny yea I know they all say that till it goes out well I think Im gonna get that timberns coil and crank up my torsion bar this truck with the duramax sure looks heavy duty on the front end a lot of diff from a 2002 sitting next to it my front axel is rated at 4670lbs rear is 6084 total 9200 anybody out there with the snow plow prep can you see what your numbers are thanks:confused: :confused:
  11. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Bert, they wont void the trans warranty,the allison is no different with the plow prep,the cooler is no different,its standard on the Hd trucks. go ahead and get the truck if everything else is right.You can even fight for the front end warranty,a plow does not automatically void the warranty,overloading it does. Im pretty sure the duramax's standard front axle rating is pretty high,If you front axle weight is under the max front axle GVWR,they cant even void that.
  12. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

All duramaxs had 4800# front ends I thought??? Mine does.

The extended cab does add a bit more weight on the nose. It dosnt really leave that much weight to be put up front. I think most ext cab D/A's run around 4k on the nose. Balast will probably be needed.

A switch and all the wiring for the blinker light is about all the plow prep package adds for a duramax. And skid plates but most 4x4's have em anywho.

If the dealer wants to be PITA's about things they could probably make your life difficult about things even though a plow prep dosnt really add anything. Make sure your dealer is cool about things and try to get in wrigting that you are going to plow with it if you arnt sure about em.

Its like any mods you do to your truck, some dealers are cool about things and some arnt. The service manager and salse guys comented that my exhaust looked/sounded good but some dealers might try to tell you that you will be sent straight to warranty hell. Then you gota start getting nasty and remind em of the M-M act and all that.....
  13. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I do not have the duramax in mine, I have the gas 6.0L. Two days ago I jacked up the truck and turned up the Torsion Bars 6 turns, I also added the Timbrens. What a huge difference this makes. The truck sits level now and I am going to take it in next week to have the front end alinged (wan't it to settle in for a couple of days first)
  14. myo

myo Senior Member

I have a duramax and plow prep and my front is 4800lbs.

Bert, Do you have any pictures of your truck we can see?
  15. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

The only problem you might have with the diesel is that when I was looking for a truck and was talking to my Western dealer about either diesel or the 6.0 gas he told me I cant go with as heavy of a plow with the diesel.

Before you crank up your torsion bars wait and see how it holds the plow. I have Timbrens and didn't touch the torsion bars and the truck only dropped an inch when the plow is on and raised.

As far as your warranty. Too many people on this site like to scare people with a friend of a friend story. A dealer for any of the big 3 can not void your warranty for any reason!!!! They can request a factory rep to review your your case and claim and the rep can void the warranty. In almost all cases the rep just fixes it to make the factory look good. This is fact and it applies to all states in the us. Some states like Delaware make even harder for them to void your warranty.

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

They can void your warranty in a hearbeat if they want,factory rep or not.Sometimes it's just not worth the headache of fighting with them.Either do it right by them,or accept the fact you may not have warranty coverage if a problem arises.
  17. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Didn't the Magnussen-Morris act prohibit any company from voiding a warranty, unless the part in question caused all of the damages?

Obviously the warranty will not cover any parts that are replaced (like adding a performance exhaust system) but that cannot void the warranty on your transmission, unless they can prove that the exhaust is the direct cause for the transmission problem.
  18. wyldman

wyldman Member

The Moss-Magnusson (sp ?) is not a guarantee.You still have to fight with them,and it's a big hassle.It may cost you more to get the lawyer involved instead of just fixing it yourself.
  19. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

In the USA the dealer can not void a warranty with out the factory Rep. I repeat they can not void your warranty!!!!!!!!

I have a father in law that owns several dealerships in De, Pa, N.j. and with all his power he can't void a warranty with out factory backing. I worked for him years ago and I witnessed a several vehicle abuse cases that were covered. Yes I saw some get the the repair voided but not the warranty.

I have had several discussions on this topic with my Uncle who is now a retired Factory Rep for GM. (I love my new car discounts)
    He even said its part of the contract and terms that the dealer signs to get their franchise. That they can not void a warranty that GM is the only one who can.

In closing it's just not true that a dealer can void your warranty.

20. porkhead1

porkhead1 Member

I'll just throw in my $.02 here.........

"bert", you're not missing anything by not having the "prep pkg" on your truck......But, if the truck doesn't have an aux. trans. cooler, I'd mount the biggest one I could find behind the grille :)
    Your std. battery, alternator & tires are good enough to get you thru your first winter. After that, I'd begin looking to up-grade those to a battery with more "reserve power", a 130+ alternator & some snow tires. :waving: