1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plow Prep package?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Gear_Head, May 1, 2009.

1. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I know Chevy had this in 05 and I have downloaded any pics I can find showing where it should be. When I pulled my flooring back to find where I think this spot should be, I am not seeing it. I bought the grommet from the dealer for this, but they were clueless even on the grommet. Had I not already had the part number ready, they acted like I spoke a foreign language.

Anyone have any tips on where they ran their wiring threw the firewall of the truck?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just above the driverside valve cover. You can clearly see the knockout in the underhood insulation. You'll be able to see the same thing on the inside as well, right above the throttle pedal.

VYU 001.jpg

3. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I feel slightly stupid. That is where I ran strobe wires for a guy on his truck, but from the literature I was thinking it was lower than that. Thanks a ton, I appreciate it!

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No reason to. Better to ask and then feel stupid vs not asking at all and then doing something stupid, thus removing all doubt. Happy to help. :waving:

5. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Actually, you're right - the hole is slightly lower. It's right next to the MBEC on the inside, and the grommet is already in place. There might even be a wire going through already. You have to pull back the insulation on the firewall to see it, but the 'nipple' end of the grommet faces the engine.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  6. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

My truck did not come with the prep package, but I am trying to put the hole and grommet I ordered where they originally intended it to be.

7. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

This picture should help you out. I'll try and get out to take a picture of my truck later this afternoon. The one directly above it is the one B&B was talking about - it's not a bad one to use - I've seen installers use that hole many times, too. Also, it's 42mm in diameter.

Picture 76.png

8. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

I swear I looked around there and did not see it. Is the hole there on all trucks? I assumed I would have to drill it myself? Seems like when I looked from inside the truck, I thought something was in the way. Any and all help is very much appreciated.