1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plow prep package

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Clint S, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

How do you tell if a truck has the prep package. Are the lights on the roof a tell tale sign or can they not have the lights and still have the package. I am looking at an 2500HD on the internet and it has no orange lights on the cab. I think on the 1500's it means you get the 5.3 too right, so no 5.3 no prep package on the 1500's??. probably looking at 03 to 07 truck
  2. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

The only thing I can say is call the dealership and ask
    besides why would have a 3/4 ton in nortehrn NY w/o the prep package. You guys have been pretty luck so far right havent got too many feet events so far?
  3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

There is a factory mounted beacon light switch located next to the "Passenger Air Bag" shutoff switch. If the little push button is there, it has plow prep. And no, it doesn't need to have roof marker lamps to have plow prep. Hope that helps...
  4. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

That helps alot thanks.

It has been average so far, but we have had a foot of snow on the ground since thanksgiving.
    We just got 20 inches wednesday night.:eek:. Usually the end of jan to mid feb is when the lake effect gets going. Last year on MLK's Bday we go 41 inches between sunday and monday. I remember because I was lucky and had the day off. Plowed 4 times that day and had to get the loader out to push too.
  5. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Dealer will be able to tell by the vin#.........
  6. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

Thats awesome! I grew up in Boonville NY so I remember how much lake effect can dump and how fast. Good luck with the rest of the season.
  7. 08Duramaxboss

08Duramaxboss Junior Member

Also there is a skid plate underneath, the front end is a little beefer and the light switch is correct as Chev Kid stated in his post. PLUS it saves your warranty on all work that needs to be covered, spoke to a guy locally yesterday who put a plow on a 08 F250 with out "the right package" as he stated, he can not get a light problem fixed just because he has a plow on it....guess the manufactors are not giving away free warranty work for just anything anymore!
  8. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Glove box RPO code - VYU = plow prep
    There will be a factory switch for overhead lights on the right side of the dash.
  9. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

That is the ONLY way to know for sure if it has the plow prep package. All of the other things that people mentioned on here are common on the plow package, but can all be ordered separately from the factory if the owner desired, without the plow prep package.
  10. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

The VYU code is a definate.
  11. plownAl

plownAl Junior Member

I have a '05 silverado 1500 w/ plow prep. My question is...I have a factory switch for overhead lights, but no passenger airbag switch..is this normal or is something up..
  12. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

Yours is a crew cab I bet. If so, crew cabs didn't have the airbag switch because, as it was explained to me...the switch is to protect kids and if you have 4 doors then you have a place in the back seat to put the kids safely away from the airbags.
  13. plownAl

plownAl Junior Member

No crew cab......reg cab 8' bed.
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And neither did many reg and extended cabs. Strictly a hit or miss deal whether your truck was equipped with the auto sensor in the pass seat or you had the switch on the dash to disable it manually.