1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plow prep package?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by snowman91, Sep 6, 2007.

1. what dose a snow plow prep package consist of? can i just change a few parts and it would be a prep package?
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

On diesel its just a skidplate lol.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Depends on what manufacture.... My Ford was just heavier springs, the Fords already come with a bigger amp altenator if it has a/c. Chevy's come with skid plates, I believe, and a bigger altenator. Dodges....I have no clue.
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

There is more to the plow prep than the window sticker lists.
    Heavy duty alt./batt
    skid plate.
    tranny cooler.
    power steering cooler.

What did I miss:confused:

options like LSD,
  5. do fords need a plow prep package of its just recommended for plowing and not needed
  6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

to prep or not to prep

on fords if you have the time to be selective the plow prep package is a must ! a lot of truck's on the dealer's lot's are the cheapest chassis they can get.
  7. does a truck need a power steering cooler to plow?
  8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The answer is no and a automatic transmission does not need to have a cooler.
    you don't need a skid plate, heavy springs or a larger alt eather.

but it is sure nice to have
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  9. how do i know if a truck has a plow prep package? (on a dodge 2500, f250, chevy 2500, sierra 2500)
  10. m297

m297 Member

For GM products go into the glove box and look at the sticker in there, if it has the code VYU then it has a snow plow prep package
  11. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

in the glove box code AHD for plow prep; AHC for trailer group.
    160 A alt; 750 A batt; delete tow hooks; trnsfr case skid plate
  12. if i called up a ford service center and gave them a vin # think they could tell me if the truck has a tow package or a plow prep package?
  13. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

Dodge truck discussion

you're talking about Ford in the Dodge forum...... I guess my Dodge Codes won't help