1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow Prep Package....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Jun 6, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I was looking on Kelly Blue Book's web-site pricing a new Ford F350 Super-cab Longbed, and I noticed you couldn't get the plow package with the diesel engine. BUT... you can get the Max Front GAWR package, which includes everything in the plow package. What is that all about???

-Tim

Also... I noticed they offer dual 115-amp alternators on the Powerstroke. Is anyone running this set-up?

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

SLIMJIM, the package offered by Ford is confusing but it basically boils down to Ford not recomending a plow for any Diesel with a club or crew cab short or long wheelbase. The gvw ratings are the same (front axle) but they don't want a plow on either configuration. Thats probably why they don't call it a plow package. I have heard of people getting the dual alts, but that is usually part of the ambulance package .

3. SlimJim Z71

Could you imagine how quick a plow would move on the front of that thing?!?! Dual alternators AND dual batteries! That would be the way to go in my opinion.

-Tim

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

All my new Fords have the 7.3 diesel engine, with dual alternators, there is no electrical power shortage.

Geoff

5. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Tim,

Ditto what Geoff said. Definetly not a power shortage, electrically or physically :D

On thing you have to remember, the Powerstroke 7.3 wieghs around 4,500 lbs all by itself. More than most cars :eek:

The only way you can get a plow prep package from Ford on a PSD is a reg cab 250 and 350, a 350 Supercab with short bed, or a 450 and 550.
    All it really is is 450/550 front springs and the extra alt. All PSD's have 2 batteries and the standard alt is heavy duty anyway.

I added the 450/550 front springs to mine and WAH LAH! Plow Prep Package!

Greg

6. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Prep package

Well, if you guys who prefer electric pumps ever experienced the reliability of a Monarch Hy-Lo belt driven unit, you would never go back to electric motors. That is all I used and they never failed me. And I could run my overhead floodlights, back up floods, heater, VHF radio (one was a tube type Motorola!!) , 12v coffee pot, and anything else and I never cooked a battery or fried an alternator. Belt drive is the way to go.

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

One question with regard to the belt-driven units: How much underhood space do they require?

I see your point as far as taking the load off the electrical system, but I know it gets pretty crowded in some engine bays too!

Being a "relic" from another era, my truck really doesn't factor in to this discussion, but FWIW I'm running the Monarch electric powerpack, dual 850 CCA batteries and 100 amp alternator. The electrics keep up OK, at the same time though I only run the lighting I require - for example, I've got 2 spotlights out the back and 1 out each side, I flip them on when needed and keep them off otherwise. Switches are all mounted close at hand so reaching for them doesn't become a nuisance.

Mind you, back in '75 there was tons of room under the hood. Going to a belt-driven pump would involve some re-arranging and fabbing of brackets though, since I'm already driving an air compressor off the crank pulley.

Good point about belt driven pumps, but there are some applications where I just don't think they will work due to space considerations.

8. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Your right Rob,

Have you ever looked under the hood of a PSD:eek:

There's barely enough room to run wires, let alone another pump:rolleyes:

Greg

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

SlimJim,we talked about this last winter,Ford doesnt offer a plow prep on diesel ex/crew cabs because a snowplow would overload those trucks.Simple as that.Take one to a certified scale,weigh it,I bet there is every bit of 4100-4300 on the front axle of an excab,and 4500-4600 on a crew cab.Add your weight,and a passenger,and an 800-1000 lb plow hanging 4 ft in front of the front axle.The axle GVWR is between 4700-5200,depending on model.Overloading a steering axle isnt the smartest thing to do,a lot of things will wear quickly,and the risk of failure is much higher when overloaded.

10. SlimJim Z71

John,

I was only pointing out the fact that they offer the Max front GAWR package for it, but not the plow package, even though they are for the most part the same equipment.

-Tim

11. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Hey Slim,
    Shouldn't you be looking for a plow for you new motorcycle? :D:D:D

12. SlimJim Z71

Yeah really... plow in style! No motorcycle yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to get one or not. Been kind of pre-occupied with having another baby and all.

-Tim

13. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Tim,if Ford offered a plow pkg on a truck that didnt have the payload to handle a plow,dont you think that would be foolish and setting themselves up for a lawsuit.This is simple math here,the weight of the truck with the diesel doesnt leave enough payload to put a plow on it,so they will not ever offer the plow prep pkg on it,unless they put in a stronger front axle.

14. SlimJim Z71

John,

I completely understand what you are saying... but that's not what I'm getting at. What else are you going to put on the front of a pickup besides a plow that would require a "Max Front GAWR Package."

I understand that with a diesel, extended cab, long-bed pickup... Ford can't officially say "Yeah... go ahead and throw a plow on it."

Ease up a little... it was just a question.

-Tim

15. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I agree Tim:rolleyes:

I have 35k mi on my truck in 9 mos. Have added and done things to it that probably voided the warranty(In Ford's eye's, not my Dealers) 30k mi. ago. It still runs and performs great. I have friends with so called "non plowing" Powerstrokes with well over 100k mi. on them. No abnormal front end wear at all. I agree there are limits, but these are tough trucks.

Greg

16. Mike Nelson

You boys play nice over here.:D

Don't take it out on each other it's Fords problem.

Sometimes it doesn't make sense that they make a heavy duty truck and you can't plow with it.:confused:

We should turn our energy towards the manufacturer.

17. SlimJim Z71

Sorry Mike, I wasn't trying to start any trouble. I was just trying to figure out why they would offer this package if not for a plow. It's almost like they're saying "here, we can't legitimately say you can put a plow on this truck, BUT... here's a Max GAWR package JUST IN CASE (wink, wink)"

-Tim

18. Mike Nelson

Slim,

I know what you are saying.It is aggravating that they tease ya like that:mad:

19. SlimJim Z71

ThAt'S iT... I wAnT tO sPeAk To SoMeOnE's SuPeRvIsOr!!! GET ME THE PRESIDENT OF FORD... STAT!!!

LOL

-Tim

20. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

A winch?

Front crank-mounted hydraulic system?

Water pump?

Spare tire?

(et al)