1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow Prep Package

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KFX450RXC, Nov 23, 2014.

1. KFX450RXC

KFX450RXC Member

Are they really that important to have on a truck? I see guys here using Rangers and I would assume they don't have a plow prep package from the factory (I may be wrong).

Down here, a truck may see at the most 100 hours of having a plow on it during the winter. Or it may not snow all winter. But if I was looking a second truck (used), should I insist on finding one with a snow plow prep package from the factory?

2. Omega

Omega Member

if it has an engine it can plow snow....the operator is more important than the equipment sometimes!

3. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

For what you will do down there, no. Just be smart, take it easy, and get paid before it melts in a day or two!!!

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Most guys on here don't have plow-prepped trucks. At least plow-prepped from the factory. Just make sure you have a high enough output alternator and you should be good to go.

5. gallihersnow

gallihersnow Senior Member

Here in NC it isn't a big deal. As someone else said, the plow isn't going to be hanging off your truck all that often. Where in NC are you from?

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

All 3 of mine came with plow prep/group.:rolleyes:

I have even purchased a truck that said "sno~comander" on it with a factory installed plow.

Is it a must have, no.

7. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

With Ford plow prep, you get 1) higher output alt. 2) higher capacity front springs. 3)special fan clutch to aid in cooling when plow is on (and blocking air across the radiator). All stuff you want if plowing. Can you "get by" without it? Probably and if buying a used truck, it may be difficult to find, but when you are specing out a new truck, why would you not have that added for the couple hundred extra it adds to the price of the truck?

8. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe you missed it but he said used... So no, it isn't important. If you do find one consider it a bonus.

9. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Nope! Didn't miss it at all. That's why i said, "if buying used, may be hard to find, so can you do without? Yes."

10. KFX450RXC

KFX450RXC Member

Yes. I was just wondering if I did decide to add a used truck. Since down here we do a small percentage of what you northern guys do, I feel good knowing I could get the exact truck I wanted even if it didn't have a prep package. My '13 F350 does have it and when I buy new, I'll make sure future trucks have it.

But if I find the perfect used truck out there but it doesn't have a prep package, its good to know I can get it and not worry about plowing and creating issues.

Not too far from you. Garner. I'm a Raleigh firefighter so I just do a few business lots that I do lawn maintenance for.

11. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

It is an $85 option. Skid plates are $100, and electronic shift 4x4 is $185.
    Spec'ing out your truck yourself is great fun. Ford has a real option list with choices. The other guys don't really have much.

12. Buswell Forest

from NH

Also, remember Fords tend to not overheat, while GMs do more often than not...without plow prep anyway..

13. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

That is because all that stuff is standard equipment on other makes. :laughing:

14. Buswell Forest

from NH

Rather be able to buy it as I want it.

15. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Just kidding! One should buy what he wants. Nothing wrong with a Ford. I have one but it is now 15 years old. I bought it used and it served me very well over the years. I just a GM person and have been most of my life. It was time to retire the Ford so I purchased a 5 year old Chevy 2500HD. Since I have not plowed with it yet. I reserve my comments. The Ford was a F150 with a Snoway 26 plow. It was a great package and did anything and everything I ask it to do. The Ford was just nickel and dining me to death and rust had set in badly. Maybe it was my fault for not taking care of it better.

16. Buswell Forest

from NH

They all break, and they all rust, and they all get to a point where they aren't worth putting money into.
    As long as we buy what we like, we can't complain too much I guess.