1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow Prep Package

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Buck331, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Buck331

Buck331 Member

Apparently the single, 200-amp extra-heavy-duty Alternator is not included in 6.2L Super Duty with the Snow Plow Prep Package?

Snow Plow Prep Package discription: (4x4 only; restrictions
    apply) includes computer-selected springs for
    snow plow application and extra-heavy-duty
    alternator with diesel engine only.

Option: Alternator – Single, 200-amp extra-heavy-duty appears to be a separate option I seldom see on window stickers.

http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/brochures/ford/2015-chassiscab.pdf

2. Buck331

Buck331 Member

My point is:

Ford Super Duty Work Trucks are commonly used Construction Utility Services, Snow Plowing, Agriculture, Emergency Vehicles, Forestry, and Heavy Hauling.
    Within these and countless other essential industries, the guys who do the toughest work count on these heavy-duty trucks.

A Ford Super Duty "Snow Plow Prep Package" should include a standard 200 amp Heavy Duty Alternator, and Factory Dual Batteries in the 6.2 gas vehicles.

Ford engineers should give further consideration to a "Real Snow Plow Prep Package", and the fact they they don't is a joke!

The "Big 3" all assume people purchase 35K-65K work trucks, attach our 5K-7K Snow Plows, and work in 20-40 below temperatures might require a "Real" Snow Plow Prep Package.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

plow prep in any truck should not only include all heavy duty spring shocks alternators but all stainless steel brake and fuel lines and better undercoating as well. lest face it there trucks are in salt all the time and work a lot with lights on and electric motors. hardly anyone used that pto version unless your a muicapality.

4. Buck331

Buck331 Member

I agree "cat320",

Here's a nice example of a Boss Plow setup using the Super Duty PTO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBARaHGarF8

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I'm sure they include include that if you want to pay for it. Trucks are expensive enough as it is

6. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

9/10 a 200 amp alternator is overkill for a regular plow truck. Now when you light it up like a Christmas tree with old style bulbs and run an electric plow plus salter you MIGHT have issues

With the advances in lighting they don't draw near what they used to. We run 2 yard spreaders and western plows with a warning light with no issues.

On stock alternators. I think 140 amp

7. Buck331

Buck331 Member

Whiffyspark,

What are your thoughts or opinion regarding dual vs. single battery on super duty's with 6.2 gas with a Boss V-XT 9-2?

Keep in mind that like all you guy's, at 2:00AM at -30 below I want to make every attempt to insure against any issues.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Mine came with a 220 Amp alternator with the plow prep package.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Same.never had a problem with what ever was under the hood

10. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Can't hurt. But I don't think it's necessary. Not sure if it already has tray and stuff for second battery if you want to add it. Grand view might know

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

My are 320 or 360 or something like that. I've run the same light and plow setup on multiple trucks. Some had dual, some single and I've never noticed a difference. My truck is a Christmas tree and I've ran three diesel transfer pumps at once at -20 with the rapid heat supplement bluring away A 6.2 should have no problems.

If you don't like the ford package, you always have UR alternator upgraded for a few bucks.

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Mine is the stock alt, and though the lights do dim when I use the plow, there has never been any real issue. The lights dim, doesn't make any difference if the heater is on or not. Acts the same.
    The next truck will be custom ordered, and it will be a diesel with the dual alt setup, just for peace of mind when running a sander, plow, heater, headlights, aftermarket reverse lights, radio, and strobes all at once.