1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow Prep Package Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by turfsolutions, Oct 26, 2008.

1. turfsolutions

turfsolutions Junior Member

Chevy and GMC turcks used to offer a snow plow prep package as an option on there 3/4 ton trucks if you were intending to plow with them. I am in the market for a new truck and was told by a dealer that they are now standard. Is this true? If so what year did they make it standard in case I go with a used truck. Thanks.

2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Well can't say for sure, but I was pricing a 2007, on the websites, and it was still an option then., might want to go the Gm.com and go build a truck and see whats option and not.

Actually I just did, for the sake of it, and it came up as an optional package still.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plow prep IS NOT a standard option...and only available on a regular cab in a 1/2 ton as well as a reg or e-cab on a 2500HD/3500 series so watch what you buy.

4. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Prep is extra, im on my 3rd ford truck that i ordered with it. It is a cheap option get it. Its not like lights and things like that, its in the front end heavier front gvw.
    mike

5. 2005DMAX

2005DMAX Junior Member

I have asked many sources this question. However none of them gave me the same answer. I just recently bought an 08 Silverado 2500 HD. They all will tell you it is wiring provisions, alternator, blah blah blah. I later found out the key option is the front axle GVWR. The plow prep package has the 4800 lb front axle GVWR. Of course the one I bought only has a 4200 lb GVWR. That won't stop me from installing a plow though. We have done it for years. Just turn up torsion bars and add rear ballast. If that isn't enough then add Timbrens. Now, the dealer can not install a plow on this light front axle for liability reasons but you can do it yourself. Good luck.

6. turfsolutions

turfsolutions Junior Member

Well, from my personal experience. 6 years ago I bought a 2002 GMC 2500HD without one. The dealer swore I could plow with it, however, reading the warranty after I purchased the truck came to find that plowing without a plow prep package voids the warranty. Since they only come factory installed, putting components of a plow prep package on afterwards also voids the warranty. I plowed with the truck anyway with no real problems except the truck would start to overheat driving on the road because the plow blade blocked airflow. I purchased a deflector for the plow arm and deflector for the plow blade to divert the airflow. The plow prep does have something to do with overheating as well as front end gvw. Thanks for the quick responses. Any other info would be great. Thanks.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Look for the VYU package on the build sheet. if it's not there, no plow prep.