1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plow prep and trailer package

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Lucfw, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Just wondering what is involed in each and if you can have them both on one truck. thanks

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah. They can both be on one truck. It all depends on what year truck you are looking at. The Superdutys- 99-04 are different than the 05-11's. Snow plow prep is basically highest FGAWR and springs available and bigger alternator. Trailer tow prep could be factory brake controller or just wiring to the rear and in the cab for an aftermarket controller. Maybe throw in a anti sway bar or something. I'm not really sure.

3. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

oh sorry years would be 1997-2003 f150 but i am also interested in all of them just wondering whats in them to make the package. corrected me if i am wroung but in the snow plow prep package is there a wire from the 3 rd brake ;ight for a utility light?

4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Ford does not provide wiring for a warning light as part of any of their Snowplow Prep Packages. The closest thing you will find there is the Upfitter Switch option on 2005+ Super Duty trucks - and that only includes the switches.

5. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

f150s arent manufactured with plowing in mind, therefore they dont make a snowplow prep package on anything smaller than a 250

6. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

oh i see. is there an add on you could get and install the uplifter switcher and possible a brake controller? thnaks

7. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

1997 to 2000, there was an F250 light duty that a plow could be put on. In I believe 2001, the F250 LD was dropped and there was an F150 heavy duty package. With that package you could put a plow on. In 2004 you had to have the F150 HD, then a special plow package was added. When they went to a heavy duty F150 for the 97-03 model years, the heavy duty was considered a plow package. Most of the trucks came with a reciever hitch and a trailer wire plug. So if you had a heavy duty, it came with a trailer package and was considered snow plow ready. Hope this helps.

8. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks you very much it really helpsThumbs Up

9. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

That truck (the light duty F-250) became the F-150 7700 package. You can easily tell one by the unique 7 lug wheels.

10. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

i never new that! thanks!:drinkup:

11. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

in 2006 they definitely made an F150 with a snow plow prep package. I know, I had one. I also had a trailer tow package on it.

12. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

so i found a website (pickuptruck.com) and it said you could get a hole bunch od hd options now could you get all the hd options with out the 7700 or f250 ld? or are the just hd add ons. thanks