1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plow pkg.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fa fa flo hite, Jul 20, 2004.

1. fa fa flo hite

fa fa flo hite Junior Member
    from ohio

before western can put my plow on i need to add some things to my truck that didnt come with a plow pkg. my front axle size is fine but what other things will i need to upgrade to ?

2. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

What kind of truck do you have?

150 / 1500
    250 / 2500
    350 / 3500

Possibly nothing is necessary. You may want to add Timbrens to the front end to help support the weight.

3. fa fa flo hite

fa fa flo hite Junior Member
    from ohio

1500 4x4 5.3 liter v8,they told me they would sell me the blade but wont put it on until i upgrade .

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm kind of curious with this one, too, as to what they wanted you to upgrade. Being a 5.3, I assume it's a 1/2 ton Dodge, which I can't think of anything unless it's an extended cab. But you said the axle is fine. Maybe the springs? Why don't you use the plow selection site below to show what type of Western plow is suited for your particular truck configuration and maybe something will come up there? As a last resort, you might just ask the dealer what he meant by an upgrade.

http://www.westernplows.com/quickmatch.asp

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

chevy 5.3

Firts find out what your front awel weight rating is. you may already have the heaviest available springs. And if you already have all the aux coolers like trany and such(you should, I think all newer chevys do and the tow pckg ones do) thats about all a "plow prep" can entail that actually makes a difference. go to kbb and do a build your own and see what a "plow pre" includes for a new truck, alot of it gets put on with other packages.

If you already have the heaviset torsion bars available to a 1/2 ton then there isnt any more you can really do if its already got a trany cooler(it should)

skidplates and some other stuff thats apart of the plow pre(but also included in alot of other packages) dont really matter, the springs(or bars) are the biggy

6. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, ratlover. I can't get used to the metric system and have to convert to cubic inches. I'd learned long ago to use 60 (5.3 x 60 = 318 ci, which is a Dodge engine).

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

a 5.3 is chevy build

8. Mick

from Maine

Oh, I didn't mean I doubted him at all. Just explaining how I came to that wrong conclusion.

I'd still say the best way to find out what they meant by needing to upgrade is to ask the ones who said it.

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

FA FA...........What size western are you looking for ?

My western dealer had no prob. putting a 7/6 straight blade on
    any of my past 1/2 ton GMs. Most had GM plow prep.
    All they asked was the front axle rating from the door jamb.

I am SURE they won't put a 9 ft. V blade or the like on your rig!
    ............geo

BTW: Do you have the GM plow prep option YVU ?
    Look in your glove box for the RPO code sheet. It will be
    applied to the bottom and in plain sight.

If you have it you are ready to plow!
    :drinkup:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2004