Snow Plowing Forum banner

Snow plow package on 2001 Suburban

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Maverick 
#1 ·
Greetings All:

I have a 2001 Suburban 2500, 4x4, 6 Liter, 3.73's, Eaton locker. While I have no immediate plans to run a plow, I got the snow plow option for the heavier front springs and the extra dashboard switch for the lights. I'd like to use that switch to power some roof lights but have had no luck finding a dealer or mechanic near Los Angeles or Long Beach who knows the first thing about what can be done with that switch.

Can someone recommend to me a shop that can run a 12 volt supply to the roof and/or bumper which is switchable via that dash mounted snow plow option switch? I've seen where the Helm manual says the wire begins for the bumper but I can't locate it behind all that stuff. Can someone point me to a mechanic in Southern California who can make this electrical switch useful to me.

Thanks,

BlueBurb

#3 ·
Originally posted by plowjockey
Do a search on "strobes" and I think they have some info on that switch at least on the pick ups.
Thanks PlowJockey.....

I found several threads but I don't think that anyone else is looking for snow plow info in Southern California. :) I think that I'll go to the web sites of a few of the larger snow plow companies and see who their dealers are, and go from there.

I just want a reliable shop that can pre-wire for roof lights, and leave a small waterproof plug of some type on the roof where I can have quick access to add/remove lights. I suppose having another such plug at the front bumper would be a plus for when I figure out what I'm going to do there. Not sure what I'm going to carry the winch on yet, but I suppose it'd be good to have the option of lights there as well.

Thanks,

BlueBurb

#4 ·
What I was referring to was the wire harness being in the cab column at the back of the cab. I thought this might ba a convenient place to get your power source to the front. Everyone talked about taking it out the chmsl (center high mounted stop lamp).
I just am not sure how it is set up in the burb.
Good luck.

Bruce

#5 ·
Hi PlowJockey:

Thanks. I see what you mean now. The roof lights on a Burb would be 6 or 8 feet forward of the chmsl. I have been trying to get a good look at a Suburban that belongs to the fire dept to see where they run the wire to the emergency roof lights. I'm under the impression that they actually drill through the roof and use some type of waterproof connector. The Helm manual indicates that the Suburban with the snow plow package has roof beacon wiring pre-installed in the headliner right next to the drivers door pillar. I haven't had the guts to pull the headliner down to see what's there. :eek:

What I really want are some quick-attach & quick-plug lights that I can jump out and place on the roof to assist in getting to a remote cabin. I don't want then up there for the 6 hour highway part of the journey (gas milage is bad enough already), but uppon arrival I have some steep off-roading for the last couple of miles. I want to jump out and have a quick connector to attach roof lights for a midnight spin in the mud & snow & forge a stream or two. But I also want something that I can leave on for a few days and not have to run any wires out the door. So I guess I'm looking for a snow plow installation expert who's a perfectionist. :) We'll see....

Thanks,

BlueBurb

Originally posted by plowjockey
What I was referring to was the wire harness being in the cab column at the back of the cab. I thought this might ba a convenient place to get your power source to the front. Everyone talked about taking it out the chmsl (center high mounted stop lamp).
I just am not sure how it is set up in the burb.
Good luck.

Bruce

#6 · (Edited)
You pull the rubber seal down at the top of the drivers door opening, then pull the headliner down a 1/2 inch. The harness will be in a bundle there somewhere within fingers reach. I have a pickup and ran my wire out the CHMSL. Brown is power and black is ground. With a "burb" you'll probably have to drill a hole in the roof.

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.