1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow Or Snow Blower's For Residential ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by s helping hand, Dec 13, 2008.

1. s helping hand

s helping hand Junior Member

What do you think is more efficient and profitable for clearing say about 15cm/6" of snow on residential driveways that can fit up to four cars max in them. (Take in to account that path way and stairs must be shoveled and around cars if necessary and you have about 35 homes to do that day)

SNOW PLOW say me operating a new 7.5 western with back drag edge and employee doing hand shoveling..
    SNOW BLOWER'S say me and employee with a aries 27" 9.5 hp snow blower Each with a good ramp system..

Please let me know what you think..and why would one be more efficient and profitable than other... thank you for your time:)
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

35 is ALOT to do with that much snow in a day with a snowblower. A truck and plow could do them in 4 hours or so.
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

It depends on how many blowers you have and how many trucks you have hauling around those blowers. I personally plow and blow driveways depending on what size they are.
  4. s helping hand

All the homes are close to getter in small neighborhood. yea 35 is a bit much lets say 20 or soo than..
  5. RenegadeX

RenegadeX Junior Member

I'm not a professional, so take this however you like, but figure 10-20 mins per driveway for a snowblower. (I have a Toro 221R single stage and a 25x40 blacktop driveway.. the other day I did 3.5" of wet slop + EOD + walkway in 11mins.. my neighbour with a 2-stage was out there longer than I, don't know how long your planned Ariens 2-stage would take). But if you said 20 mins including loading/unloading and salting, that's 3/hr, or 6-7hrs of work. How quick do you figure you can do them with a plow and shovel?
  6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

even at 20 id be calling it a day. Plowing would be much faster.
  7. nekos

nekos Senior Member

my next door neighbor get's her driveway , sidewalk and porch done with snow blowers.
    2 guys/snow blowers on the drive way and one does side walk and porch. i never timed them but im sure they would have no problems doing 4 - 6 driveways per hour. they are in and out in no time. it's kinda amusing to watch.

as for the OP's question , a plow is faster . takes me about 5 minutes to do my 4 car driveway not to mention it's much much warmer ! :cool:
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  8. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

If your doing more than 5 IMO it's time for a truck and plow. The time it takes you to do those 5 you could have done 10 or 15 with a plow.
  9. d8on27@msn.com

d8on27@msn.com Junior Member
    from iowa

If you have to get out to clean the sidewalks, stoop and walk it takes the same amount of time with a plow or with a snowblower on a standard city lot IMO. I've done both alot. If they are close together as you said you can do 5/6 an hour with 2 man crew with two Toro 3650's. These are much more effecient than the bigger 2 stage blowers.
  10. paynter2

paynter2 Member

I don't know about Western. I sold my CJ-5 with a meyers plow. Bought a new truck and put a Western on it last month. We're due for nearly two feet of snow today and tonight. Yesterday I put the plow on the truck - first time since I brought it home from the dealer.

It doesn't work. There's pressure in the system so I think there must be a stuck valve someplace - all the plow does is kick right an inch or two. It doesn't matter what direction I try to go with it - it kicks right.

So, here I am, 30 miles from town. I have a brand new plow that doesn't work and two feet of snow on the way. With the Meyers I could have jacked the plow up and shortened the chain to limp to the dealer. Not so with this one. I think I'm gonna need a tow.

Western - :mad:
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

and you could short chain the western
  12. paynter2

paynter2 Member

Sorry - this post got placed into the wrong forum. I Don't see an 'edit' function so it will just have to stay. Again, sorry.
  13. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

If I had to do more than 5 or 6, I'd be getting a truck and a plow. A lot faster and a lot warmer.
  14. capnsac

capnsac Member

I don't know what your financial situation is, however if you don't want to invest anywhere from 3-6 grand (depending on new or used plow) then I'd go with the snow throwers. IMO this is a more economical route anyhow if you are only doing driveways. I think a plow would be overkill IMO, and your ROI would be much higher if you just go with the snow throwers at first.

Also, if you're open for suggestions on snow throwers, go with the 2450GTS by toro. The reason I suggest those is they unfortunately no longer make the 3650, so the 2450 is your next best bet. The bigger snow throwers you are talking about getting are honestly, for a lack of a better word, worthless. I had a snow thrower jsut like that, and I was hating life to say the least while trying to use the thing. Not only are they cumbersome to use, they are just as cumbersome to transport.

Think about it this way, are you really going to want to take that 300lb behemoth off the truck when you're on your last 10 driveways and it's -5 with a windchill of -25? I did that exact thing, and let me tell you, I hated my life so much that I went back and returned the damn thing. I got the two 2450GTS's and was loving life after that. You can get two of these for around $900 OTD, instead of one of those for around that much. You'd make that back in a snow fall.

FWIW, someday you are going to have to get snow throwers if you're going to keep doing residentials. It's more or less a stepping stone for what's to come.

Just my .02
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  15. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

use a plow and no snow blower, the reason why is i wouldn't want you showing up at my house 3 am with a snow blower going and i don't think any of my direct neighbours would like it too much either.

Use the plow and have someone shovel if you wake any body you will be gone before they can get out to yell at you.
  16. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Snow Blowers

I personally use my blowers on all of my resis, being that they do a superior job compared to a plow, especially if you have cars in the drive. I curretly do about 30 of them, and when you take the time to use the plow, then get out of the truck and shovel around all the cars, you are spending more time there than if you just used the blower to being with. Being that the houses are close, you can start at the first one, unlaod the equipment, and make your way around, especially if there are sidewalks connecting them. You will be able to do them faster and neater then with a plow. Inall of my years doing snow, 25+ now, I have never had one complaint about waking someone up at 3 in the morning. I have had several compliments that we had been there at that time, the homeowner comld sleep knowing that they were cleared out for the monring, and did not have to wait for us.
  17. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

my customers are trained to garage there cars i couldnt imagine dragging snowblowers around gas cans ramps
  18. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

too much trouble bringing them around loading and unloading plow the drive jump out two seconds to take out shovel and then shovel quickly the walks and then back in the truck and not having to load the blower again.
  19. s helping hand

I have a buddy ramp/ tailgate ramp. and it would take no time to load and unload snowblowers. Me and a employee could have a snow blower each.... drive down ramp..l take half the drive way employee well take the other half do small path and side walk and done!!! drive up ramp and than go to next house ... I think a plow is a bit faster but snowblowers would be almost the same...So im going to go with snow blowers over plow because they do a better job on a driveway and less risky to damage..
  20. s helping hand

About snow blowers you really think i am better off over all with 20" toro 2450 GTS than 9.5 27" aries snowblowers even when loading is not a problem.? i got a good tail gate ramp