1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow or Snow Blower?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dennykyser, Oct 1, 2011.

1. dennykyser

dennykyser Junior Member

I have a combined residential, commercial cement driveway that is 30' by 100'
    I have a 2008 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado Z71 4X4 with trans cooler, trailer package etc.

I was about to buy a plow ($4500) and started getting cold feet and thinking a snow blower may be the better choice.

I own a photography business and although very slow in the winter months, may have to clear the driveway in the middle of the day just before a customer arrives so hiring it done is not an option.

Snow blower option saves money, but means I get cold, plow means I remote start my truck and plow in a warm truck.

I have considered plowing a couple neighbors residential drives to cover the expense of the plow. If I did this would do it legally and be insured, there are very few people around who plow residential drives, the few commercial companies do commercial properties.

Looking for advice from those who have been in my shoes.

2. dennykyser

dennykyser Junior Member

I should add, I know I do not have the right vehicle to do this commercial, and if I decided this was profitable would get a dedicated HD truck to plow.

Previously I had been using a 4 wheeler and plow, but sold my wheeler this past summer and need a new option.

3. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

You can definitely plow with your z71 i did it. I just sold mine last yr Needed a bigger truck but it still will work for what you are doing...

You will hate a doing it with a snowblower... I get tired after 2 drives. Also realized when i got my first jeep with a snoway, my driveways were kept cleaner....opposed to when i used my snowblower....

I say if you can get some close driveways you can easily pay it off quick. When we used my z71 my driveway guy plowed about 88 drives with it. So it can deff. handle it!

this was my z71 crew cab, boss plow poly sport 7'6''
    the pic was snapped during a storm so it was really dirty!

PT1.jpg

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

30x100 isnt THAT big. It dosent sound like you have plans to get real serious into snow removal anyway....so get a large 2stage snowblower ($1200-$2000???), dress warm, and take care of your own stuff.

It will take more than a couple driveways and your personal 30x100 to justify "getting into the business" imo.

5. dennykyser

dennykyser Junior Member

I live just South East of Erie, Pa, we get a ton of snow and if I did a few local driveways, a few days a week would pay the difference between a good snow blower and a plow. Maybe not in one year but in a couple.

Plow Man Foster, thanks for the pics.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

You must also take into consideration your costs involving extra ins.,fuel, extra wear on parts/tires etc etc......and when your truck and/or plow breaks down how will you cover those accounts you've committed to? Just some things to consider.

BTW, from what I've heard of the prices in the Erie, Pa area, that $4500 might be what you'd spend on a snow service for the next 8-10 yrs on a lot that size? Thats cheap when you look at it that way. Have you gotten any bids for the property?

7. dennykyser

dennykyser Junior Member

Like I said earlier, I would need a person who could come exactly when I need them.
    Often we need to plow a couple times a day, right before customers get here. No one can give that kind of service.

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

This lead me to believe you would only be occasionally plowing the lot through the winter when needed.?

This sounds like you need to plow every time it snows.?

You still havent answered my question about a backup plan for if/when you cant service the accounts you pick up to justify the purchase of a plow...?

9. dennykyser

dennykyser Junior Member

I do not know anyone around here who does the occasional residential driveway who has multiple trucks, so like them if Truck was down a day would have to do what they have been doing (do it them selves) until truck is ready. I am not talking about taking a job from another snow removal company, but am sure for a decent price some of these neighbors would stay inside rather than shovel, or blow their own drives.

10. 100InchHammer

100InchHammer Member

You have 3 choices. If you really don't think you can find someone to service your needs, I'd go with your own plow. Pick up a few residentials and it will pay for itself. The ins is cheap, I carry a 300/300 comm policy with full coverage on 2 trucks and only pay $75/mo. I also carry a GL for 2mil for commercial, it's just over $200/yr. Foster was right on, pass on the snow blower. I'd go with a less expensive plow set-up. I'd even look for a relatively new used plow, you will have less than $2000 installed and it will hold its value as long as you take care or it. The blower will be worth half next year.