1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow Operator Emergency Kit

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by s1gnature, Jan 28, 2011.

1. s1gnature

s1gnature Junior Member
    from Toronto

I am compiling a list of all the things you need to keep in your truck in the case of a break down. Please add your suggestions.
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Spare hot woman---or 2,depends on how long the downtime will be.:) Seriously,I do believe this was chapter and verse about 5 or more times now--kinda old, no offense.
  3. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

1. extra hydralic hose
    2. quart of fluid
    3. socket set
    4. cressent wrench
    5. channel locks
    6. flash light
    7. shovels
    8. spare fittings that go on the angle cylinders cause i always seem to break them
    9. teflon tape
    10. extra plow selenoid

can never have to much
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Agreed- however I keep essentially a full set of tools- wrenches, sockets, deep sockets, pliers, screw drivers
    bottle jack (stock jack is crap in my truck),
    replacement lug wrench (stock one shattered- yes, shattered @ 2am in a blizzard with 14 inches on the ground and the city had not been able to keep up with it),
    cheater pipe (2 2foot length of pipe that nest for those tough lugs or nuts)
    emergency blanket (mylar space blanket)
    emergency candle in a steel tin
    waterproof matches
    spare cotter pins (no problem with cylinder fittings here, but I lose those bloody pins)
    Electrical tape (second only to duct tape!)
    extra gloves and vest
    engine oil
    washer fluid
    a few jumper wires with alligator clips on the ends
    DVM (digital multi meter) or 12v test light.
    STEEL d handle shovel - digging out especially when on packed snow or ice
    tow chain (S)
  5. palmer570

palmer570 Member

I also carry a cable come along. Incase I get stuck and need a nudge or if my plow breaks down and I cant fix it I can atleast lift it to get home.
  6. snowman69

snowman69 Junior Member

a torch of some sort
  7. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

the best thing to have is a nice heated garage fully stocked with all the tools and beverages to get any job done in a timely mannor.:mechanic:
  8. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

fire extinguisher
  9. bill7101

bill7101 Member

This is the greatest tool you could have, even if its just a torpedo heater to thaw out the equipment
  10. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Bag of pretzels and a couple gatorades
  11. Jgramlich

Jgramlich Senior Member

Tarp.you don't want to be laying in snow getting under there.

I also carry 2 flashlights, 3 sets of gloves (work, salt and shovel), a bag of spare clothing, haynes manual, full compliment of tools, tow rope, damn near every fluid my truck drinks, shovels (whether you think you'll use them or not), and some plow parts.

Also all the parts I've purchased and haven't had time to fix yet...
  12. Carpenter98

Carpenter98 Member

Extra wiper blade or two. Streaks bother me.

One way I've found out what tools to carry (besides the standard ones) is to 'explore' my plow while sitting in the driveway in the evening. Do it when the sun is setting so the lighting isn't the best. Then you will realize you need a T25 driver that wasn't included in your tool kit.
  13. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

i would def say a few ratchet straps so that if that hyro stops working on you. you can strap it up or some times use it as a tow strap in a real pinch...
  14. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

9mm pistol!