1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plow on ram cummins

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fastxcr800, Jul 24, 2014.

1. fastxcr800

fastxcr800 Member

I own a 05 ram 3500 cummins crew cab short bed. I would like to put a 9.2' boss vplow or maybe a western wideout. Both manufactures don't list one for this truck if it has a cummins. Anyone run one anyway? If so how does the truck hold up? And vplow vs wideout.
  2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

It should handle a wideout or 9.5' v easily.
    Wideout for level open lots, V for roadways and spots where you may hit solid objects.
    I recommend Fisher. XLS or XV-2.
  3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

It is because it is over the front axle weight limit. I do it anyway - I have not had any problems with a 2001 2500 with a Cummins. I run the same plow on a 96 1500 also. It eats a few ujoints each year, but I have 4 years on the ball joints. The plows I have for both trucks are a BOSS 7'6" V with wings / makes it 9'4". Plus a BOSS 8'2" Poly with wings / makes it 10'. So your 1 ton should take it all day. :)
  4. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

I'm running a '13 Ram 2500 ccsb diesel and a thousand pound Snowdogg VXF 9'-6" plow and have no problems with it. Their website won't allow that configuration due to the diesel, and all of the manufacturers will say the same thing if you have a diesel, but there are a lot of us running diesels with very large, heavy plows with no problems. Your truck should handle it find.
  5. alpine779

alpine779 Member

I have an 05 2500 cummins. I have a 8'2 boss and a 9'2 dxt that runs on that truck. I just have ballast in the back and as stated above change the ujoints more frequently. Truck plows fine with it.