1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plow lock

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sir spaniourd, Jan 12, 2005.

1. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

snow plow locking device??

I am pretty sure many of you have the same dilema. Where to put the plow while not in use and also praying that the plow will be there when you come back home. Does anyone know of any system or device to prevent thieves from stealing the plow. i don't want to leave my plow conected 24/7.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  2. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

i keep my plow in the locked garage. a friend of mine keeps his locked to his truck with 2 cables and 2 locks.(plow down but still atached) a few others that i know of lock them to large trees put them at the front of the drive and park a car infront of them. there are many ways. kind of got to be creative..... there was a past before of someone on the site cuttin the female end off of an extention cord attaching wire to plow and plugin it in.. now who ever touched the plow got a supprise :nono:

good luck its that time :drinkup:

andrew purplebou :redbounce

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the fisher mm2 has a handle you pull down which releases the pins holding it to the truck frame. I use a lock that holds the handle in place thus preventing anyone from being able to drive in to it and hook up.
    During the summer it is locked up in my garage nice and dry, but since i have my phone number on the blade i keep it by the busy road in front of my house during the fall and winter.

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Western has a couple different locks for the UniMount plows - an Isarmatic Hydraulic Unit Lock (pn 61935) and a Hitch Pin Lock (pn 61940).

The Ultra-Mount doesn't have a lock system in place yet but I have a diagram on how / where to drill a hole in the sled that you can put a lock on that aids in theft deterant. PM me if anyone wants that diagram.

5. sir spaniourd

Have you ever heard about the BLADELOCK?
    http://wardfab.com/bladelock/details.htm
    I believe it is around $200.
    Plow Meister, I tried to send you a PM but it didn't work. I would be interested in that diagram.
    Thanks

6. Plow Meister

You probably aren't allowed to send PM's yet since you are a new member. Shoot me an Email at kinkade@jorsm.com and I will send you the diagram.

7. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Grn Mtn,
    I have a fisher mm2, I think I'm going to use your idea...

the fisher mm2 has a handle you pull down which releases the pins holding it to the truck frame. I use a lock that holds the handle in place thus preventing anyone from being able to drive in to it and hook up.

Quick question... what did you use to put your phone number on the blade, and where did you put it?

Thanks for sharing your ideas! :waving:

8. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

on my fisher mm1, i put a padlock through the hole opposite one of the retention pins. i makes the receiver opening too small the let the truck lock onto the headgear.

plowlock.jpg

9. Ole JIM

Ole JIM Senior Member

Ole JIM here! Best WAY I know of! to Keep Your Plow from Being STOLEN!--Install IT! & Drive to a WELDING SHOP! & have personal -ID- Welded On your PLOW!--I Do this to My FISHER--Front of Cutting EDGE--Top of BLADE-'A'FRAME-Head GEAR--& Stamp my Cyls-- & Valve BODY all in Plain SIGHT!--& just So You KNOW! my Daughter was having Coffee at our Local Resturant--a Hang Out for Local Punks! as its Open 24/7 & over Heard--the Punks mention! My FISHER having been Welded w/ -ID- all over It!--so the Police can -ID-any Part! & I leave Mine right in my Driveway all Summer Long!--& NO Takers thus Far!--& any Welding Shop will be Glad to DO It for YA! as it only takes a few Minutes & only Cost a few Bucks!--& YEH! I Weld--Ole JIM--all over the Place On Mine!--Hope this HELPS?

10. Plow Meister

The problem with that is it destroys the factory paint / powder coat. Sure, you can re-paint it but why go through all that with a brand new blade.

It is a great way to ID stuff though. That's for certain.

11. sir spaniourd

That is a great idea Ole Jim.

Mr Snowplow: I've heard that for the lettering in the plow you can put black vinyl letters or your logo from a sign store and on top of that lettering you can add a big transparent vinyl, big enough to cover all the letters. Supposedly that would last 3 or 4 days plowing. I have plants to order a magnetic sign that I'll remove in between jobs.

12. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

another reason

I am willing to bet my 30 pack that** ole -=+ jim ** is a good shot! that is why there are no takers. but the welds and stamps do not hurt. just did the stamping and filled them in with dab of dirty grease to match the black.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

My letters I bought off the Internet for $30, they were reflective black 8" x 5', and you could read them from way to far away. It was a way for me to advertise cheaply in the fall, I would drive around and park out front of busy business's intersections (say that 10 times fast) and people would look and say, look at that crazy guy with a plow on, but then they would see the number and give me a call. It worked great, but when I plowed some heavy wet snow the other day they came off. But I knew this would happen, that is why it was a test. Since it worked so well I will do it again but then have the plow clear-coated. Here is the picture of it: http://www.plowsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8074

BTB, your welcome, that is what this site is all about.

14. sir spaniourd

grn mtn, Do you mind if i ask you where did you get the reflective letters? i've been trying to locate that kind of lettering and for $30 it's well worth it.
    Thanks