1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plow installation?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jimchris, Jul 11, 2010.

1. jimchris

jimchris Member

How hard is it to install a new XT plow? I'm a farmer with average skills, I have a nice shop with a lift. I would need to buy good bits for frame drilling. Does plow come with good detailed instructions? It's going on a 2011 F350 diesel, not much room under the hood.
  2. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

im about the same as you, fairly mechnically inclined. do all my own maintenance on my trucks and equipment. instructions seemed pretty good to me and knocked the whole mount install out in about 3-4 hours. not too difficult at all. dont have to get super drillbits. just got a normal decent 5/8? bit and it blew through all the holes no problem. just take it easy on the drill and use some good cutting oil. also dont torque anything down til you have it all together on the truck so you can make sure everything lines up right. dont know how the new trucks are but mine was an 06 f250. wiring is probably the hardest part. connections arent bad but very time consuming hiding wires and making it look nice. go for it and post on here if you need any help, someone always around to help but think you should be just fine. way easier then i thought it would be. was nervous but my local plow guy talked me into doing it myself and glad he did. lets ya know whats really going on in there and where everything is. good luck :drinkup:
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You'll be fine doing it yourself.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I had my very first one installed for me at my dealer. I have done everyone after that myself. They are a piece of cake. Like said above if you have questions just ask.
  5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Boss instructions are pretty good. You shouldn't have a problem and you learn ALOT about your setup in case something breaks down the road.
  6. jimchris

jimchris Member

My local dealer wants $660 to install, I could live with that but he wants full retail for plow.
  7. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

thats a little high on the install price but regardless if you got the time, definately do it yourself. gain a huge knowledge of your setup and makes troubleshooting and repair much easier. if you feel like takin a ride one weekend, call around the chicago area and sure you can make the ride worth while with the money youll save. give John at Johns Garage in Glenview a call 847-998-9557. hes the best guy in town to deal with and his prices are usually very good.
  8. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

9. jimchris

jimchris Member

Yea Jim has good prices. If I decide to tackle the job myself I will probably buy from him.
  10. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. Very easy to install. As long as you have another set of hands to help hold up the mount, you will be fine. The wiring is very easy also. Boss's instructions are easy to follow. If you have any questions during the install let us know.

That is crazy. Just buy the plow complete and do the install your self.