1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow Heater

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by meinerie, Nov 25, 2011.

1. meinerie

meinerie Junior Member

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

if your running the correct plow fluid and its fresh n clean each season then you dont realy need this.

the correct blue fluid is rated to pour at -76* f temp :eek: look here for universal fluid spec . i was told by delivery guy he delivers LOTS of this stuff to snow plow shops all the time. and the lift gate on his truck has it. that thing moves like its a 100* day in the dead of winter.

so unless your in the north/south pole i dont see much need for it.

i been plowin for years and havnt had a freeze up on the few myers and fishers with the pump unit out front.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  3. meinerie

meinerie Junior Member

Appreciate the post. Last year I had a terrible time with plow freezing, using the correct blue fluid. Changed fluid several times, had the shop look at it and they changed the motor/fluid resivior gasket. Just changed fluid again for the new season and got thinking i really dont wanna go through this again.

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Do you think there is a risk of overheating the fluid with that thing? Granted it is only 10 amps, but that's just more draw on your electrical system. If you are hell bent on installing it, I would put it on a timed switch. But, if your system is properly sealed, not leaking, and clean you shouldn't have to worry about a freezing issue.

5. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

To answer your questin put a bottle of the SAM blue fluid in the freezer for a day. Pull it out and see if it is frozen. I bet it won't be.

You are getting water in your system or it is not being flushed fully. Fix this and the problem will go away.

6. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

I used to have a small magentic heater I bought at the auto store and put it on the pump and it did keep things warm for sure.

7. meinerie

meinerie Junior Member

I have had the shop go over the complete plow, my thought for this would be back up, same reason we all carry tools and spare parts. If something happens in the middle of the season, middle of a storm, I can just turn this on and get out of a pinch.

8. XXL 4RUNNER

XXL 4RUNNER Member

I'd do it, why not? Sure your fluid wont freeze but when its cold it wont flow as freely as it would when its warm...... Just my .02

9. meinerie

meinerie Junior Member

I checked with a couple shops around here and they said they had other people coming in with the same problem. Around here the temp kept rising and dropping causing condensation to form.

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Wouldn't that cause even more of a condensation problem? You would have a bigger temp swing

11. meinerie

meinerie Junior Member

You would think, they all said that when you drain/flush it would get it all out, not so sure about that. One shop said they had the problem on a couple brand new plows( snow dogg).

12. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Finding the source of the water infiltration is the big issue. Add enough water to anything and you get slush and freeze up.

Pits in the cyls ( angle or lift ) is the biggest cause on the newer plows. Followed by quick couplers on the older plows and then by condensation thru the tanks on the steel tank plows and then on the poly tank plows.

The internal filters on most of the plows is a fine poly screen. Boss is still using mostly a wire mesh screen of a larger mesh size. If you pull a Fisher or Western, Snow Dogg or Blizzard apart right when the problem occurs you will find a fine slush attached to the screen. It can be hard to distinguish as the filter mesh is white also but you can pick it off with your finger.

Find the source, stop it and the problem goes away.

With the large temp swings ( 40 - 60 degrees ) in a storm system some times you will be down to straight condensation. This is more prevalent if you put the plow in a heated garage or building on a regular basis and then head out to plow.

J

13. meinerie

meinerie Junior Member

Thanks for the insight. I think I got everything looked over good in the off season, will find out here in a couple days. We should get lake effect (fingers crossed)

14. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

lets see 100 wats is like leavening your lights on all night, last time I did that I had a dead battery in the AM, and cook the oil.