1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

?Snow Plow for 96 Chevy k1500 4X4 - Recommendations on used

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MommaLisa, Aug 6, 2003.

1. MommaLisa

MommaLisa Junior Member

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum. My hubby & I have a 600ft driveway and a 86 Dodge Ram plow truck that has seen it's last snowstorm. It needs to much work to keep. Our 1 yr old son would like to go "brmm , brmm" in Daddy's OLD truck but there's no exhaust - can we say carbon monoixde poisoning?

Hubby's Chevy 96 4X4 K1500 has the front end that can handle a plow from what the dealer told him last year. Hey guys - I even Picked it out - It was 1 yr old and Loaded with options! I couldn't resist and told hubby if he didn't buy it - I would.

We can't afford a new snowplow. What do you gentlemen suggest? We live in CT. Again, we(or I should say HE) will only plow our long driveway that has just stone - we can't afford to tar the driveway.

You are the experts and I believe you will give us better info than any local salesmen! We want to remove the plow in the Spring and reattach during the winter season or when necessary.

Many thanks!

Momma Lisa:help:
  2. MommaLisa

MommaLisa Junior Member

How do we SALT/Sand a 600 ft driveway with the pick-up?

:confused: Ok - I should have added this question!

Is there an attachment(used of course) that could salt & sand our driveway? or do we just store salt/sand at the top/bottom of the hill? and apply by hand(my poor hubby!)

Thanks to our builder and our horrible town planner lots of roadway water from up the street runs down our property and our driveway during heavy/rain snow. It's great for ice skating or sledding but not driving the Momma Van with Baby.

We have a rolling hill with some burm?(built up farming dirt walls) and one oak tree that I could hit.

Any ideas?

Many thanks you Snow Men & oh Snow Ladies!
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Welcome to PlowSite,, Mommalisa. For your question about a used plow, look through this thread and see if it helps:

Second for salting/sanding, you might want to get a tailgate sander. Go to the top of the page to Chuck Smith's FAQ and scroll through them till you get to "Tailgate Sanders". Lots of information here.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite.

It's a fairly popular truck,so you shouldn't have a hard time finding a used plow.Be careful what you buy,as you don't want a plow that has been used hard commercially for years,it will be ready for the scrap heap.Whatever you buy,make sure you have someone nearby that can service that make of plow.You might want to check out some places first,to see what they carry and service,and you may even come across a used plow in the process.

A small buyers tailgate spreader is probably all you need.There are better models,with more capacity,but probably overkill for your application.

If you have a big hill,and lots of ice,you might want to look into a good set of dedicated snow\ice tires,so you don't end up in the ditch.Chains could also be used if required.

You may also want to talk to the town about repairing the water overflow problem to prevent the ice buildup in the first place.
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Welcome to plowsite

Your truck should make a fine plowtruck. I see a lot of used plows on ebay that would fit ur truck. You should try there. I think you should look into snoway because they are light weight and are easy to remove.

for a salt/sand spreader you should look at a tailgate sander. They are smaller and good for personal use.

Good luck:waving:
  6. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

You can get a small spreader off ebay which are less than $200 should work fine for your driveway. As for a plow look around for a dealer and maybe they can point you in the direction of a used plow. Let us know if you need any more help. BTW welcome to Plowsite:waving:
  7. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I would think that SnowEx small spreader will be suitable for your application, but you only can use straight dry salt. No sand or it will clog up.

If you have a Fisher dealer nearby, check out with their new plow called "Homesteader" plow. It is a lightweight plow that weighs 250 pounds and should be good enough for plowing your own driveway. It should be affordable I would image.
  8. MommaLisa

MommaLisa Junior Member

You Snow "Gods" are amazing!

:nod: Hey I really have to send out a world of thanks to Mick, Wyldman, Snow guy, Meyers and others for all your wonderful advice.

Mick's link was really informative! I tried a search and came up dry. I should have tried a couple combo's.

Wow - we will save lots of $$. Got a quote for a new one at $3200 plus tax OUCH! If it will only cost a few hundred $ and just extra maintenance wonderful.

I will check ebay when the Baby takes a nap - if he ever does!

===Hey WebSite Master - How come you guys don't have a SNOW icon Smilies???

Thanks Again Everyone! Can't wait to show hubby!

Happy Winter to all!

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You're welcome, MommaLisa. Stop back and let us know how it's going. Or perhaps we can help with something else along the way.
  10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Your very welcome lisa. We are always happy to help someone with snowplow and truck questions.;)