1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plow for 1999 Geo 4 door Tracker

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by wsmm, Dec 11, 2012.

1. wsmm

wsmm Member

Any body know of a plow system that will work on a 1999 4dr 4wheel drive GEO Tracker? Prefer power angle if available. Currently using a Meyers plow on a 1990 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup, but would like a smaller vehicle for some of my tight areas. Only used to plow my dirt drive and occasionally plow my brother-in-laws drive. I have a long drove through the woods and open fields about 2,000'.
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

A SnowBear with some custom fabrication?

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Ugh, well at least its got a frame. I sure wouldn't want to try plowing with one of those though. Certainly not a 2000 foot drive. That is a hell of a lot of drive for the smallest on-road 4x4 ever made.

And FYI: I used to drive one of those myself.

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Did you forget the other thread?
    OP, you might want to contact those Youtube users to ask how they're rigged.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have a Kia Sportage 2Door model and I thought about putting one on and dont think nobody makes mounts For Kia or a GEO
    If I buy one I was going buy the UTV Boss 6.6 Vplow and make it fit

Not much snow last year and this year not looking to good So my V on my kia is on hold

6. jasonv

from kannada

I don't think that Kia (Hyundai) has a frame. DON'T DO IT.

7. jasonv

from kannada

Other thread is irrelevant. Its a bad idea in that thread, its a bad idea in this thread. First video was a high traction situation (you can see that it peels all the way down to clear pavement). Second video is a VERY VERY HIGHLY modified vehicle. All bets are off when you get to that extreme. THIRD video is very little snow and he's struggling with it and getting stuck (see video transition hiding his getting stuck).

Those cars are very light, small tires, and very poor traction.

8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Sell the tracker and get a compact utility tractor with a blower and be done.

9. jasonv

from kannada

I don't recommend a blower for a driveway. A blower is a good backup for extreme/emergency snowfalls, but a total pain in the a** for regular snow removal.

10. Squires

Squires Senior Member

11. jasonv

from kannada

The fact that somebody sells something does not imply that its a good idea to buy it. Always keep in mind that there are people who sell HEROINE.

12. Squires

Squires Senior Member

What is the issue exactly?
    Too small? He intends to do his own driveway, and would like the smaller size over his current 1/2ton pickup.

A 3/4ton truck won't help here if the 1/2 ton is too big.

People use them and they work, enough said.
    Try bringing something useful to a post once in a while.

Also checkout google

A 2 door sportage does have a frame Thumbs Up

13. jasonv

from kannada

Too ***LIGHT***.
    And a 3/4 ton is definitely the WRONG vehicle, why would you even suggest that?

And someone in Russia does this;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWsoMe_Gsys

Doesn't make it a good idea.

Heed your own advice. Telling someone to do something really STUPID and potentially EXPENSIVE is not something valuable to add. That vehicle is NOT adequate for ANY snow plow.

And just how does that apply to OP's question?
    Also,

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  14. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Last post for me on this topic.

A 1/2 ton is too big, but a tracker is too small, hmmm now what? Somehow you can plow snow with a quad, but a small SUV is not capable of the same for a residential application.

The OP did not ask for amateur engineering opinions as to what the vehicle could handle, they did however ask if there were any kits available, and there are. They may not meet your requirements, but that is besides the point.

The kia comment was in response to another one of your uninformed opinions, you posted the specs for a new sportage, which is uni body. 2 door models were the first gen and they are body on frame, but again you are the know all be all of personal opinions with no help to the topics or questions at hand.

Im done arguing over nothing now.

To the OP sorry this got so off track, as others have mentioned try contacting any of those youtube posters. With some fab work any of the small plows available should work, especially anything designed for a UTV sized vehicle.
    Best of Luck
    &
    Merry Christmas :drinkup:

15. jasonv

from kannada

If one is too big and the other is too small, stick with the one that is too big. It will at least work. The other one will just get stuck.

Simple, isn't it?

Right, the OP DID NOT ask for amateur engineering opinions. THAT DISQUALIFIES YOU ABSOLUTELY. Now run along.

And again, you haven't shown anything to back up that opinion. So either provide PROOF to support your unfounded claims, or screw off.

Good, now beat it.

16. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

not sure how i ended up reading this thread but i do love to hear from all the internet tough guys out there.

"run along", "screw off" "beat it". you gotta wonder how many of these tough guys would say things like that in person? or would they only do it behind the safety of their keyboard hundreds of miles away? :rolleyes:

17. jasonv

from kannada

If an ass is being an ass, I'll tell it to his face. Its regrettable that this medium doesn't provide that opportunity.

18. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

Bill, a '99 is a Chevrolet Tracker, '97 was the last year for the Geo handle. Snowbear mounts are still available for your tracker:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snowbear-Ch...Parts_Accessories&hash=item232621e8b9&vxp=mtr

EDIT: You might be able to find a used one. I see them on craigslist all the time, but you'll still need model specific mounts. Just make sure you get all the parts.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012