1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow plow dolly?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mg1826, Oct 26, 2011.

1. mg1826

mg1826 Member

Does anyone have any ideas for building your own snow plow dolly. I don't really want to dish out $200-300 on one and would rather build my own. I need it for an 8' MM2. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, just sturdy enough to roll in and out of my garage. Any pics would be great!

2. DuraBird02

DuraBird02 Member

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid because but a pallet jack won't work?

3. mg1826

mg1826 Member

I considered a pallet jack however, I don't have one and my driveway has a slight incline to it. Also, I would need to turn the plow sideways and push it into the garage by myself so I didn't think a pallet jack would be the best option.

4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

do you still have you skids from your plow?

5. mg1826

mg1826 Member

No. The skids are long gone.

6. chevyzrule810

I'm in the process of making one myself and should have it done tonight or tomorrow and will post some pictures of it.

7. jaybird

jaybird Member

donovan equipment has set for 75.00. comes with 3 little dolly 1 for jack leg 2 for blade

8. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

I made my own with some scrap 3/4" ply wood and heavy duty castor wheels. I'll snap a few shots when I get back to the shop 2maro.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  9. chevyzrule810

jaybird do you have some pictures of those dollys? My father got a flat bed body from donovan a few years ago and said you were good to go business with

10. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

I've used a $30 padded furniture dolly. All 4 wheels swivel and it handles my 8.5 V fine.

11. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

We use a standard floor jack and lift the plows under the frame, a couple pumps of the jack and you can litterally balance the plow with one hand and pull or push where you need.

12. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

Keep an eye out and you can buy the sets of snowmobile dollys cheap. Generally come with three pieces, two for the skis, (with grooves for the runners that work with the cutting edge, then the third can go under a support leg or the frame at the back.

13. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

I made one out of 1/2 inch plywood over a 2x6 frame qnd some heavy duty castor wheels that i picked up for cheap money at Harbor freight. If I get a chance, I'll snap some pics in the AM when I get home.

14. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

pretty basic but works for me. I use a piece of 6x6 on the small dolly to balance under the a-frame of plow. cost me about 45$ with the caster's. The rest is scrap pieces of 3/4 plywood sandwiched together. . You get the idea.

photo(12).jpg

photo(11).jpg

photo(4).jpg

15. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

I made own in the shape of the frame that works well. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

16. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

Here are some pics of mine works great. I would just add a second wheel under the jack stand

IMG_2833.JPG

IMG_2834.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

17. mg1826

mg1826 Member

Thanks for all the replies and pics. I share pics of mine when I'm done making it.

18. chevyzrule810

I was able to find this cart my neighbor used as an engine cart
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  19. automoto

automoto Member

mg how are you making out with the dolly?

20. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

Keep it simple/cheap. I have been using one for 40 years. It looks just like the one that brad11ny made.