1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plow does not lift high enough (ultramount)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by RMC LANDSCAPING, Dec 21, 2009.

1. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

i have an 8 foot ultra mount plow i have tightend the chain there is some sort of "bar" keeping from lifting higher can i remove this bar? as it sits the plow only comes up 10 inches off the ground any ideas?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

What bar??

What kind of plow??

When you press the button to lift the plow, is your "lift ram" going all the way up??

Is your "lock pin" lock in the upper hole ??

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  3. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

i have a western 8 foot ultra mount snow plow it doesnt lift all the way up this "bar" stops it from rasing any higher it has bolts to remove it

4. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

how do i check this lock pin?

5. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Sounds like you have the stacking stop bolted on. It only needs to be installed if you pivot plate is install in the #3 or #4 configuration (flat side up). Sound like it is in 1 or 2 (angled part up).

6. twinman326

If your talking about the "Stacking stop", it is meant to be there if your using the configuration 3 & 4. If your using 1 & 2, then it wasn't use. You have to determined which configuration your using. If your using 1&2, remove it..

Was the plow lifting fine before you made the post???

See diagram

stack.jpg

stack.jpg

7. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

the plow lifts fine how ever this stacking stop stops it from going higher i have to take the plow off to see witch im using 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 thank you for all your help

8. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Do the MVP's have these hole locations? My V-plow has a lot of lift height to be desired

9. twinman326

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Lets make this easy,

What truck is it on?

11. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

My MVP is on a 2500 chev. I got timbrens and T-bars cranked

12. twinman326

for as a lot of lift. Maybe because the "T" bars might be crank too much???

13. Crash935

Ultra MVP's use a different type stack stop that is bolted to the round bar on the upper lift frame assy and can be configured 4 different ways.

14. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

my truck is a 2006 Ford F250

15. Crash935

Should be configured as a 3 then which would use the stop. Try it without for a night and see if you like it any better but also make sure the pivot plates are configured correctly.

16. twinman326

the configuration chart state #3 no stacking stop. #4, yes stacking stop (post #9)

17. Crash935

See post #6, that is for the straight blade which he has, the one your talking about is in your other post and that is for the Ultra V.

Cant fool me, do this in my sleep.

18. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Another guy in a similar sitution

Hey Guys,

I have determined my plow is in configuration 2, and I need to move it to configuration 1.
    I also realize that my stacking stop is still installed, which probably explains why the plow currently hits the ground if I angle it, even when fully lifted.

what you suggest as the best/safest method of going from config 2 to config 1?

I have to imagine if I just pull out those pins with the plow sitting on the ground something is going to come crashing down in some manner. Is this a job for a floor jack? and if so, which part do i need to hold up?

any tips would help, Crash and Twin your advice has been extremely helpful in the past and I'm sure I can count on one of you this time as well.

-Jer

19. twinman326

Here what I think. the plow must be remove from the vehicle. Using a jack with a 2x4x?? across to support the weight of the plow. (not sure you can use the shoes for support as well)

shown in the diagram (from PDF page #7 ) you might get away by just removing the screw from the plate??

recplate.jpg

stacking.jpg

look on pg #7 in the PDF
    http://www.westernplows.com/pdf/44229.05_020107.pdf

recplate.jpg

stacking.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  20. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

You and your red lines! so helpful!

I think you're right about the jack with the wood. I was just outside, I pulled off the stacking stop and kind of surveyed the situation of the configuration change. with the help of the pdf and a little close up head scratching it looks like I can simply undo those 2 carriage bolts, remove the pivot pins and then raise the jack so the holes line up with new holes. (Config 1 and 2 use the same plate position, so that makes it a lot easier.) Then I should just be able to insert the pivot pins into the new holes, put the carriage bolts back in and I should be done. I can't really see any reason that I would need to remove the hooks, and hopefully I am right because that doesn't look fun.

If anyone else has any tips I'd love to hear 'em but after taking a good look at it and the diagrams it seems pretty straight forward.

-Jer