1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow components and mounts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Bsox171, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Bsox171

Bsox171 Junior Member

Suprisingly I did a search and found nothing on this topic. Basically Im trying to get a plow for my 98 sierra but for some reason my search has turned up next to nothing. 90% of the plows i find dont include the on truck parts or they are for older chevys/fords. So Im trying to figure out what exactly makes up the "on truck" components to the snow plow and what makes up the off truck components. Are the on truck components just the mounts? So if I buy a plow and it has the blade, pump, and controller Id just need to buy the mounts for my specific vehicle?

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps me out
  2. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Need the wiring harness, vehicle specific mount and maybe headlight adapters depending on plow type and vehicle. This if your plow side comes with everything and the controller. The mounts can be expensive if you dont find one used.
  3. Bsox171

Bsox171 Junior Member

So lets say I purchase a complete MM1 setup for a mid 90's ford all I would need to get to make it work on the GMC would be the mount for the GMC, wiring harness, and possibly the headlight adaptors?
  4. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

All I have is a boss plow and what your saying would be correct for a boss. I am not sure about fisher plows and I believe they are on the mm2 series, so you may have a little trouble finding a used mm1 mount for your vehicle. For boss plows a new vehicle mount is about $600, but can be had used for about $300 and a wiring harness is about $150 and headlight adapters about another $50 if they are required.

Maybe somebody that has more experienced with that plow will chime up.

Also check ebay, type in fisher plow and you will find alot of used parts.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  5. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Try these guys if you can find the correct used components. They sell the individual parts or the entire "truck side" for the "major" brands (Meyer, Western, Fisher, Boss).

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

MM1 & MM2 use the same truck side stuff. The only variable is Straight blade, Ez V, and now the new multiplex (XLS & Xtreme V & HT models). All mounts are the same, however the controller harness is different. So if your looking to go with Fisher, then you would need Push Plates, Plow Lighting Harness, Vehicle Lighting harness, Controller Harness, and a controller. The last two are blade specific with some exceptions. If your using a straight blade now, and want to upgrade to a V blade later, I would recommend the 7 Pin controller harness. With an adapter and a new controller you can run a Ez Vee & the straight blade without switching out harnesses. Keep in mind you can also re wire a plow to fit your truck if the occasion arises.