1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow Color

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowplowjay, Apr 13, 2003.

1. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

On occassion it comes up in discussions as to whether or not there is any stipulations across the US in State DOT laws as to acceptable snow plow colors.

I am curious as to what knowledge you guys have as to any laws about plow color for safety.

For the most part we see:
    orange
    red
    yellow
    to be the general colors used.

Although Northman makes blue
    and blizzard makes white
    and snoway makes clear.

so what is the law if any.

Jay

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Jay, I dont know the reason why, but I can tell you that I like my red Western, hehe. Mike :drinkup:

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Plan on changing color of my wings from red to yellow. I have found that yellow appears to stand out more. Front blades will remain the orange polly color.

Geoff

4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Interesting question, Jay.

I don't know the answer, but I'd speculate that there's no regulation of color. If there were, the manufacturers would have probably checked into it, and complied with it, so they wouldn't be selling equipment that was illegal for their customers to run.

(Don't forget those fancy stainless steel X Plows too...)

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I seriously doubt there are any specific laws. My guess it's for safety reasons, so they cant get sued if they made all plows black & cause accidents. Then the feds would quickly jump in & start making up all sorts of laws.
    Hmm... they could all group up & paint plows all black to boost sales & parts from idiots running into them... :rolleyes:
    Personally I want something bright & more obvious to the idiots out there.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Digger, I'm disappointed! Where's the philosophical analysis of Jay's question?;)

I hope the lawmakers don't happen upon this thread and discover a new way to generate revenue!

7. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Sorry, I've been preoccupied with contemplating my gradual decline into old age. I'll try to get something together real soon, but it's hard to see the keyboard when I can't remember where I've left my reading glasses.

Now, for a scintillating analysis of plow color as regulated by the United Nations, Back to our political affairs correspondent, Pelican.... :)

8. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

There's only one proper color for a blade and it can be seen by looking at my avatar!

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Fisher yellow and Western red. :drinkup: Mike

Last edited: Apr 14, 2003
  10. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Roger...
    The concensus was that black was bad. :D

j/k