1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Plow choosing please help, Dodge Ram1500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowleopar82, Nov 5, 2012.

1. snowleopar82

snowleopar82 Junior Member

Hi guys, I have a carpet cleaning business and winter business is getting slow thats why I want to do snow removal plowing too. I am already insured and bonded company.

I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4.

I got a price for Meyer about $4400 and also I get price Western Mid-Weight, 7.5’ cost installed $4,485.00 and 3rd one is: Western 7.5’ Pro series plow. Lift kit…$395.00 + the plow $4,695.00 installed. Will be Plus NY tax. I live in CT but very close to NY, like 10 minute.

Please I need your guys help/suggestions, which one is the best for me can work.

Thank you, so much..

Henry

2. snowleopar82

Almost 60 views and 0 reply, come on people say some things. Any idea?

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

O.k., if your going to start plowing snow, buy a plow that you will have local support for. I would probably choose the western pro vs the others you have listed if there is a dealer near you. I had a Meyer and wasn't all that impressed. It worked but I had several times with the E60 blowing out a pump base seal and basicly had to rebuild the pump in the middle of a storm. There are lots of good plows and i have had several different brands over the years, and I really like the Snoway plows. I am on my second and both of them have really treated me well. My Blizzard plow was probably my second favorite plow, just because they are very similar to Snoway plows. Boss is also a good plow and I have had very few problems with it. GOOD LUCK to you!!

4. treefarm

treefarm Member

commercial plowing with a half ton? if i were you i'd save my truck go buy a used three-quarter ton with a plow and beat the s### out of it. Have you ever commercially plow? , i'm not saying it cannot be done but you might find out getting into a business part time is not the way to go you'll just be the part-time quick cash maker that everyone can't stand and your truck will probably break down and then your customers will call you something else. Most manufacturers will put any plow you want on a truck, i had a friend put a small v blade on a f150 so anything is possible of course he beat the heck out of the truck and it cost him more in one season to repair the truck then my F350 cost me in four years. one other thing plowing is not just about horsepower it's also about weight of the vehicle a 1 ton truck will easily push where a half ton will be knocked around just my opinion i wish you luck either direction take care

5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

First, that lift kit is far too expensive. Buy some Bilsteins or just get a spacer off ebay for $50.

Second - installing a plow really isn't that hard and can save you anywhere from $300-$600 if you "cash and carry" install it yourself.

Lastly - Get whatever has local support as mentioned. I'd consider a Boss plow as well since they are a little lighter and faster hydraulics. Western is a nice plow as well, I'd stay away from meyer personally.

6. jbovara

jbovara Junior Member

If you are going to plow with that truck you should put the smallest boss poly plow on nothing larger than 7' I would bet your entire seasons profits if you plow anything more than small driveways and you get somewhere around 30" of snow you will blow your transmission for sure.

7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Do you realize that a 7' plow will have a cut width less than the width of the truck?

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

To the OP, just go to the top of the page and click on the icons for any of the manufacturers there. Most all of them have a plow that will fit your application. Most of those aren't rated for "commercial" use though.

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Arctic snowplows suggests HD90" (heavy duty = commercial) as an option for Ram1500.

10. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

I have a snowdogg md75 on my 09 1500

[​IMG]

11. JustJeff

And to the OP one more time, SnowDogg's site says you can get the same plow as the poster above in an 8' model, but again, it's rated as a medium duty plow, not commercial. But there are plenty of people out there doing lots and lots of driveways and small parking lots with these plows with success.

12. jbovara

jbovara Junior Member

Thanks for the correction. The state ment should be revised to reflect the fact that a light duty truck should have a light duty plow. Dog trucks are not known for there trans, and they have a tendency of blowing. I have had one doge that did that and know other people who have doge trucks who have blown stock trans. I'm just stressing the fact that in his case smaller is better.

13. m00nraker

m00nraker Member

The quality of dodge transmission really has improved since about the 03 model year when they switched from the old 46/47RE to the newer 45RFE and 545RFE transmissions.

But I again echo what everyone else has said I understand I have a 1/2 ton truck therefore i chose a plow appropriate to what im driving. Im not gonna go try to hang a 9' V blade off the front and then complain when stuff starts breaking!

14. JustJeff

So let me get this straight, are they "Dog" trucks, or "doge" trucks??? Again, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Dodge transmissions have been fine for nearly ten years now. As a matter of fact, all of the "big three" all have solid transmissions and engines nowadays, whether it be gas or diesel, half-ton or bigger. You should stop giving advice and spreading misinformation and start reading and learning!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  15. tommydimples

tommydimples Junior Member

plow

i have the same truck with a western HTC + I put strobes in the 4 corners= $5,000. then had to do the lift kit for $250.

16. tommydimples

tommydimples Junior Member

did u do a lift kit on the frontend ?????

17. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

My guy plows with a chevy 1500 and uses a western 7 1/2 ft plow.

Works fine for him and has had no problems with the plow for the last 3 years.

His truck on the other hand, replaced bearings, joints, etc... after two years.

The 7 1/2 is good for tight spots.

Also good for doing driveways.

But stick with driveways and very small parking lots, you well find in a really heavy snowfall that unless your out there moving that snow quickly your going to get bogged up and unable to move it if it gets too high.

One last thing, while you may be insured for carpet cleaning, that insurance might not cover you for plowing, you better check it out.

18. snowleopar82

Yes I'm getting that..

BTW thank you all guys.. It was really helpful.

19. snowleopar82

20. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Western wide out, fisher xls or POWER PLOW® Snow Plow

or even better, but with more work, a straight blade with box extensions.

but here is the trick. most people will straighten their inside wing when windrowing, common mistake even western advertises.

leave your blade in scoop mode while windrowing. what this means is while you have your blade pushing left, you have an extension pushing snow FORWARD. when you do this all of the inertia from that extension pushing forward gathers up in the snow and pushes it forward.

when i windrow with my extensions, jsut before i get to the pile, i see a big gush of snow go up over the pile.

it can save 40 percent of your time compared to a straight blade. in my opinion there is NO other way.

the ones i mention probably arnt as efficient as my custom built extensions, but you can retract them without getting out of the truck, which is nice for going up to curbs and garages. tho ill be building mine to tuck behind the plow.

[​IMG]