1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

snow plow choice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ratherbfishin, Aug 2, 2011.

1. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Hi,
    My first post;I know this probably has been addressed before,but here I go.
    I am setting up my new 2011 GMC 2500 HD.My past 4 trucks I have used Diamond plows and have had no major issues.My local dealer dropped diamond,so the closest guy now is a Fisher.
    I have heard the new Fishers are not nearly as good as the older Fishers.So question is...Fisher,Boss,Blizzard,travel for Diamond,or other?
    I plow mainly parking lots(and alot of them).Always ran 8' straight,thinking maybe going 8.5,or possibly "V".I am a little worried with the "V" though,with all the extra parts.Breakdowns are not a option with the plow load I have!

Any suggestions on Brands,types,etc.are greatly appreciated!

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Brand new, or 10 years old there is a risk of breakdowns. I personally would go with a Boss V and forget about it, but that is my preference. There is no right or wrong answer to your question. Pick a plow that you are comfortable with, and a dealer that is open when you need them, and buy a plow. I haven't had any major problems with any of my plows, from brand new to a 15 year old backup that just keeps on working. The big thing is to have spare parts on major wear items, and you can fix anything right in the middle of a lot if you have to. Good Luck

3. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Like Rc2505 said it's really a matter of preference, and looks mixed with features and dealer support. You tube is great if your looking to see what the different models look like while working, and differences between the brands. For me I stick with Westerns, always ran them with little to no issues, but again that's my preference. Good Luck and let us know what you end up getting.

4. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I have a Hiniker 8 1/2' poly V. Just got at the end of last season. So far I love it. My dealer is great, and I hope I don't need him much. Good luck.

kevlars

5. ratherbfishin

so....any truth to the Fisher stories I have heard?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I don't really think so. People will have the rare catastrophic problems with any manufacturer, and they're the ones that will make the most noise about that brand. I haven't seen any greater damage or breakdowns with various generations of Fisher. Welds would break on a 1976 conventional Fisher at 20 years old, pump motors crap out with time on the MM1's & 2's. Hoses & pistons all develop problems with years of use... nothing one wouldn't expect. I will say, having gone through EVERY generation Fisher from that old 1976 conventional, a 1988 conventional, a 1993 conventional, MM1, and my current MM2's... They're rugged plows that take more abuse than the average person can give them. If you plow trees like an excavator & beat the snot out of it in various ways like that, you may be disappointed. But regular maintenance & reasonable use will offer you a reliable unit. I AM biased about Fisher, but other products do the same thing with various features that are similar to what Fisher has.

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think Fishers would be fine. Same thing, pretty much, as my new Westerns. I like them a lot. They backdrag and scrape nice. I would recommend a V plow for sure. They increase your productivity. All of my trucks have them.

9. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

The v plows are easier to push through the wind when you are traveling down the road between jobs, too. This is especially true at highway speeds.

Kevlars

10. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I say stick with Western I have been a Western owner / user for 20 years and never had any issues with them. If your doing alot of parking lots I would choose a Western Wideout they go 8 ft to 10 ft wide and make a 9 ft scoop you will find that extra 2 ft handy as hell when doing larger lots

11. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

GET A BOSS! Best decision you could ever make!

12. ratherbfishin

PLOWMANFOSTER

So what make the Boss so much better than others?

13. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.

Boss, Western, Hiniker, etc.

Same argument, different product. I looked at Boss, didn't like my local dealer, and the lack of trip edge turned me off. All have pros and cons. I sure like my Hiniker 8 1/2' poly V with trip edge and double action cylinders. No folding to scoop when backdragging.

Good luck,
    Kevlars

14. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

He will probably say it Looks Really Cool on the Front of his Truck........:dizzy:

Stick with a Plow where you will get Dealer Support on the Plow you Purchase....

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Notice a common trend? Dealer support is more important then the manufacturer's name.

16. Plow man Foster

Yup Ya Caught me Matson, It looks sweet.......

Chill Out!
    I have always had Boss plows since i was a kid (15) I still have that plow...Maybe that means something. Also at the time when i was looking at plows Boss had the Fastest Control Speed My buddy also worships Boss plows so i just felt that was the right decision for me! ON TOP OF EVERYTHING my local dealer sells and services Boss.

What makes it better????
    Now here is my little disclaimer. I havent compared them in a long time but when i first compared them:
    i liked the direct lift, Blade control/ Hydro Control speed. Also not sure if this is still true but i hadn't seen a plow stack snow so high when i got my first boss. But now thats like their motto! Finally what makes me buy them with out even thinking twice is: how i havent had ANY major problems in the 15 Years i have had it.. I have changed Cutting edges,fluid, bulb here and there.... But nothing MOTOR WISE! Today im proud to say i have 10 Boss plows and planning on adding (3)9' 2's or 10' VXT's this year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

So while you have had excellent results from your plows you really have never used anything else so really cannot make honest comparisons.

18. Plow man Foster

Correct. I will say last year i used a western V For 4 Hours... This was after all my stuff was plowed. so i jumped in my buddies truck and helped his crew out a little bit. And my Biggest pet peeve with His truck was it had a Western V and the controls were A little bit slower responding *Compared to my Boss V
    Also the Chain lift was bugging the hell out of me! The plow just wobbles... I amazed nothing else breaks on those plows. I dont mean to sound like a BOSS plow fanatic. But im just telling you from what i experienced. But after 15+ years of having Boss plows its hard to switch back.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I understand and am not attacking Boss, I'm just making a point to the OP. You have no reason to change anything. Boss makes a good plow, you seem happy with your dealer and if you're adding more trucks you must be making money and growing. BUT not everybody has a good Boss dealer (the newest local Boss guy is using a O2/Axy torch to "drill" holes:eek:scary) and dealer support is key.

20. Plow man Foster

Yikes that is scary!